What's new

Advice on SVS subs (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
In the last couple of months I have upgraded my entire system (almost). My current setup includes Denon 3802, M50s up front, VP150 center and QS4 surrounds. The only piece I have not upgraded is my sub (Sony WM40). I think the sub sounds okay but I have been reading quite a bit on the SVS subs and the rave reviews owners have given them. I have had my eye on the 25-31 pci, but I am wondering how much improvement can I expect from upgrading my sub? Anyone who owns an SVS sub please give me some feedback. I want to know if I am really missing out on this aspect of my system.

Jason

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Huge difference. The Sony is a nice sub but pretty boomy. The SVS will sound a lot less boomy, go a lot louder and deeper with less distortion. It will be weird at first because the response of the SV is so flat, you may percieve it as tame in comparison to the Sony. Throw in a good action movie and you'll find it's anything but tame. Its kind of a gentle giant. Very polite unless called upon to kick some ass.

I have the 25-31 and upgraded from a DefTech sub. Even though the Def Tech was nice, it crapped out at about 35hz in my room. I get nice extension into the low 20's with the SV. Dustin may have some more info about the Sony but I would guess it isn't doing much below 30hz.

Seems like adding a nice sub is the logical next step to me. Also have a look at the HSU and Adire products. Same general result, different packaging.

Let me know if you want to sell the Sony. I have a buddy who may be interested if the price is right.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I aslo have a 25-31PCi,

And I agree Johnny.

The SVS is less boomy, non irritating, it goes very deep, and with less effort, I can hardly hear any distortion. And for me I havent experience real deep bass until I bought my SVS, I'm completly amazed with it, I only wonder how good are the big models, because I went with the little one. But I dont regret my descition at all. My next sub will definetly be an SVS.

Try searching reviews of SVS, Phil made a good one some time ago, and also I havent heard any bad reviews with SVS. So they are for me a good company with great service and great products.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Jason,

I went from a Sony sub to an SVS and could not be happier. After I got the SVS I was in heaven and was mad at my self for putting off the SVS purchase for so long. Don't wait any longer and get SVS you will know what we are talking about after you hear the SVS.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
My SVS is the most natural sounding speaker I own. It does not sound like an independent speaker. It sounds like a natural extension of my existing speakers. I could not be any happier with it.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Wow. Okay you guys have convinced me. I would love to get one of the bigger models, but I just don't have the room. Now I just have to convinve the wife I need to spend another $400. Johnny if I do sell my Sony, you will be the first to know.

Jason

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
I really believe that the purchase of my 2531pci was the best thing I did to improve my enjoyment of both movies and music.:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Jason,

I would recommend getting the 25-31 tuned to 22hz, if you haven't already ordered the sub.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I hear that the 25-31 PCi plays louder than the 16-46PCi, but the 16-46 plays deeper. They also say that you will not really notice the difference in depth unless you listen to organ music and a very few deep movies. I bought the 16-46 PCi. It plays incredibly loud and clean in my 14X20 room with 9'4" ceiling. I added a BFD to tame the room, and the bass is stunning. Although many recordings and movies do not go deeper than the 25-31 is capable of, I would have to vote to get the 16-46 PCi. I am biased because it was what I bought, but I don't listen at ear-bleed levels and like really deep bass. I am sure you will be amazed at the effortless bass and the clean, unmuddied detail the SVS gives you. The BFD would be the final step to really accurate bass. (or at least it was for me) Buy the SVS. My wife was unhappy when she saw it, but really impressed when she heard it, and she is NOT one who even remotely cares about my audio equipment!

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

You won't go wrong with any of the PCi models. Your wife might not agree (my wife drew the line when I showed here pics of the 16-46). I "settled" on a 25-31 as an upgrade to my older Infinity sub, and I'll concur with others here -- it is the most significant change you'll ever get for $500. I know that technically the 16-46 goes deeper, but honestly I can't say I've played anything where I thought I was missing any of the deepest bass. And, the SPL levels on the 25-31 are the highest of any of the three, so if you love to 'feel' your LFE, it does a fabulous job.

Rich

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I must add to this discussion because I went from the same sony sub as yours to a svs 25-31 to a 20-29plus. I must say that I was totally shocked when I got the svs. there was no boom and it sounded incredible. But when I moved up to a 20-39 I heard the same great bass but then FELT a whole bunch more. It is like you can feel the waves low near the floor. When I had the 25 while the bass was awesome I never really felt the bass like with the deeper sub. And this is with the same movies. maybe i am crazy or matbe it was because i got the plus but I DEFINATLY noticed a difference. But again this is just my .02

anyway you go with SVS you WONT be dissapointed.

-B

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Another, another 16-46PCi owner here! And it really was smaller than I was expecting.

I know that technically the 16-46 goes deeper, but honestly I can't say I've played anything where I thought I was missing any of the deepest bass.
Jurrasic Park, Jurrasic Park 3, Fight Club, Toy Story 2, U571, Phantom Menace, etc..etc..etc......

I am not saying anything negative towards you, but there are movies that have sub-20Hz information (and lots of it). Try Jurrasic Park 3, chapter 6. Your walls should be pulsing even when you do not hear audiable bass.

Go for it Jason! You will LOVE ANY model you buy. SVS is a good product/company.

Dylan

Agent
This question may belong in the HT basics area, but I was wondering about the differences between a sub w/ a high SPL (not sure what numbers would qualify, probably high 80s-90s?) but a relatively shallow low freq response (i.e. 30Hz) vs. a moderate SPL sub (maybe mid 50s-60s, again I'm not sure on the accurate numbers to use here) but a relatively deep low freq. response (i.e. 15Hz). The main issue I want to explore is what low freq range and/or SPL gives you the chest punch/resonance and what gives you the low rumble across the room? I know resonance depends on the type of material and density of said material located in the room, the "lively" nature of the room and the quality and type of the materials comprising the sub, while sound levels depend on SPL, size of woofer and wattage, in general, but specifically for subs, if one is looking for a good chest resonance and a loud rumble (but not the boomy rumble often heard, I mean a low freq., tight rumble). What would a 100 DB, 20 Hz wave sound/feel like vs. a 100 DB, 50Hz? Here's an example of the ideal sound characteristics I'm looking for in a sub: a large explosion occurs, first you get a heavy punch in your chest cavity then you hear a low freq. rumble getting steadily louder then softer as the explosion expands and dissipates. This is what I want to hear when watching action movies. Can the SVS do this (specifically the PCi series) or any other moderately prices sub under $900? Is this a realistic sound feature or are my expectations unrealistic for that budget?

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

I totally agree and understand your point, I was just pointing out that whether you get the 25-31 or the 16-46, you really are going to have quality LFE. My point was that my "lowly" 25-31 hasn't hit a DVD yet that it couldn't handle full force, and it's already rattling my room and gut to the point that I can't imagine that I'm missing much.

For example, my 25-31 has a higher SPL output than your 16-41. Do you feel like you are "missing out" on SPL? Probably not.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks