Advice on surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Michael_R, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased (and currently enjoying immensely) a B&W N805 and HTM-2 front stage.

My dilemma is that I don't know which surrounds to get given the following: (1) can't really wall-mount b/c the rear and side walls of my HT are gorgeous brick and I am renting (ugh). (2) the limited floor space/area behind my couch pushes me to smaller unobstrusive rear speakers. (3) I would like to have both rear sides and rear backs, but this may be impossible given reason (2).

Anyone know of any decent sat or small bookshelfs that will mate well w/ my front soundstage? Was looking at the Gallo Micros for surrounds, but don't know if these would mate well with B&W. Should I consider the DM600 S3 (may be too big still) or can I go smaller?

Oh and I'd *love* to get another pair of 805s or SCM-1s for the rear but for the reasons aforementioned, I can't. I'm looking now for a decent hold-over until I purhase a house.

TIA to all!

Todd

2. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

^^ bump ^^ [​IMG]
    Tx again

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I never even notice surrounds when they are set to the correct level.

I would go for the cheaper/smaller decision if I had one. I'd be happy as long as the speakers tone match the rest of the setup.

The surrounds IMO are the least important speaker in a 5.1 setup since they are the speaker you are NOT supposed to notice a lot during a movie.

Another idea is to hang the surrounds from the ceiling like with 3 chains. This would maximize floor space and allow you to use any size surround. (just and idea, I havn't tried it but have seen roof suspended speakers)

4. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I bought 5 identical KEF towers and the soundstage came together perfectlly.

Firm believer in the '5 of the same speaker' theory