What's new

Advice on surround speakers to pair with Denon AVR-1911? (1 Viewer)

GabryRox

Auditioning
Real Name
saxcat33
Hello,

I just received my Denon AVR-1911 Receiver today and am now looking for advice on a decent set of surround speakers to pair with it. Firstly, I'm not even sure I have to have a 7.1 set, even though this receiver is obviously capable of that. Franklly, I found such an unbelievable deal on the 1911 that I figured I couldn't pass it up, even if I didn't go 7.1 right away.

Here are my specs so far:

- Samsung 46" LED HDTV (2010 model)

- Samsung Blu-Ray Player (not sure the model # but it's the top Wi-fi model before getting into the 3D line)

- Denon AVR-1911 Receiver

- Dimensions of living room: about 15'x17' with ~10' ceiling

The speaker system I've been eyeing is the Onkyo SKS-HT870 7.1 package (around $300 on Amazon). Seem to get good reviews with main down-side being the size/bulky look. Frankly, I don't really care about the look, just the sound. I'm not a pure audiophile but know good sound when I hear it. I don't have an unlimmited budget either.

So, with this in mind, I'd be looking for some opinions on the Onkyo 870's, as well as advice in the following areas:

- Can I significantly improve on the sound quality of the 870's by spending ~$200 extra?

- If so, I'm assuming this would probably be a 5.1 system and not a 7.1 (again, I'm not married to 7.1 necessarily)

- If I get a 5.1 system now, how easy is it to upgrade to 7.1 later? (are there matching issues?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

GabryRox

Auditioning
Real Name
saxcat33
After doing some additional reading/research, it seems that I might be able to fairly significantly improve over the 870's by going with 5.1 instead and just spending a few extra $$. I'm kind of married to buying from Amazon at this point because I have a pretty large credit with them, and these are 2 very highly rated 5.1 systems that come up for under $500:

- Energy 5.1 Take Classic

- JBL CS-480-BG

Any thoughts on these? As compared to the 870's?

Real Name
Dennis
JBL's to me have to much bass... I went with Klipsch RF-82 II Reference Series from Sound Distributors in Vegas. Talk to Eric there, as he set me up with dual subs and a 5.2 system for around $2700. I love my Klipsch, and my PA-150 sub from Eric. I am running the Denon AVR-3311CI, which is more than I need but love the amp also.

Motto

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am in the exact position i am about to purchase the 1911 AVR and am now looking for speakers these are my considerations.

Definitive Technology

Pure Acoustic

Q Acoustic

All are approx. the same with 140 to 175 watts and 4 to 8 ohms.

Regards

Real Name
Dennis
Motto Mike,

Take a hard look at Klipsch RF-82II towers, with RC-62 Center, and RS-52II Surrounds, with one or two PA-150 subs running with your Denon AVR-1911 you should be totally happy... if your Ears are like mine. Or you could go with a couple Klipsch subs (SW310's) if you wish. I went with two subs to balance out the room ~(18ft. x 22ft.), basically to fill the other side with low freqs. since I have everything setup for 80 Hz. crossover on subs and Denon amp. Listen to Paradigms also if your budget will support it. You can do your calcs there, but with the AVR-3311CI at 125W. per Channel and driving five speakers (excluding dual subs), I have over 1.57 Watts/Sq. Ft. of Room Surface Area. What the correct number is or should be I have no idea, as maybe what is more important is the Power per Volume ratio, since you are really trying to fill the whole room with quality undistorted sound, and maybe we should consider the height of the ceiling also. If someone else knows, it would be appreciated.

Motto

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Like your recommendation how much would that cost in the US approximately just so i know i am not gettin riped off.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks