advice on subwoofer for around $150

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jared_C, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Jared_C

Jared_C Stunt Coordinator

Ok, i am just about done with my setup, wharfedale diamond 8.2 bookshelfs for mains, diamond center channel, soon to have diamond 8.1 for rear. I need advice on a subwoofer close to or within $150. I have really no knowledge about home theater powered subs. Any suggestions? any subs that really stand out?

2. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Do a search for a Sony sub....the Sony SAWM40 is well regarded in your price range. There is an easy polyfill mod that makes it less boomy too.

Dave

3. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

I also have the Sony SAWM40 and with the polyfil mod I love it. The DLS 10" Sub is gaining some popularity as well but it will be out of stock for the next month or two. Having heard both you can't go wrong either way but at your price point there are really no other options.

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

You also have to look at the DLS sub from Partsexpress.com. There is a long thread(6pages last I checked) that compares the sony and DLS subs. I think the DLS edges out the Sony and is cheaper and requires no mods to sound good. Its $99 at partsexpress.

Nick

5. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

Try a Dahlquist PDQ-1200 or 1500. I have the 1500 and it is very nice for the price! I paid $143.01 shipped from ubid.com.

-Eric

6. Jared_C

i saw that dls sub a partsexpress, does anyone own it? i am wondering because i can't believe that they can even make a powered sub for that price! is the quality there?

7. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

You can thank Henry for the low price. . . .
    I have a little 8 inch with 5 satelite speakers that I bought for my computer for only 39.99, it will surprise you. . . I put its little sub under the desk. . . Great for background music. . .

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

One of the members on that DLS 10 thread is planning on testing the DLS this weekend again with possibly even more test disks than was done the first time against the Sony- it won't be a Sony to DLS comparison, though. The plan is to test the DLS 10 against a DIY sub that he built himself. Now I expect the DIY will outgun the DLS, as that is the reason for DIY subs in the first place, but for the price (and effort)- the DLS can't be beat. The general thought is not so much that it outguns the Sony, but that it is better built, better looking, does not need mods, and is more musical- tighter bass, etc.. Now if the DLS holds it's own to that DIY sub, then we have a true "Tiny Mighty Sub," as it's being called. I own the DLS 10 by the way and love it for my 12' x 18' open design space apartment space. Other options are to look at the Audiosource 15 (very large sub) and mod that also, but do a search here for more info on that. Good luck!

9. Jared_C

thanks guys, what about the Dahlquist PDQ-1200 or 1500 mentioned above, any feedback on it?

10. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Guy,
    Whose Henry? Tell us about him...thank him for me if you know him personally. I plan on a DIY sub in the future and the DLS 10 was my hold me over sub- it's a great sub for that- that's for sure!

11. EricTownsend

Yeah, I have a Dahlquist PDQ-1500. We are having a home built that will be ready in a couple weeks, so I have not had a chance to really push the limits, but I did hook it up @ my brother-in-laws house. I watched Pearl Harbor and that sub really puts out some bass with volume. For the price, I think it is worth it for movies. I have not tried it with music. ASAP after moving, I will setup the HT and give it a real try-out with my Energy e:XL setup.
    I have also owned a KEF Coda sub and a Energy XL12 sub, but these cost 4 - 5 times as much as this one.
    Check out this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=114607
    Good luck!!
    Eric

12. EricTownsend

Pictures of the back and bottom of the Dahlquist PDQ -1500 sub. Sorry if they are slightly fuzzy... Email me for larger versions of these pics. Also, I hope you can see these at all. It is my first time trying to post a pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have the Sony WM40 and I like it, a bit boomy though. However I have not used the polyfill modification.

14. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I have the DSL sub and recommend it. You don't have to believe me, though. Check out the 6 page thread in this forum. It was tested against the WM40 and is highly regarded by a member who builds subs.

15. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Jared I think you would find that the DLS does a very good job for the money. I really was not expecting to much from it and thought the Sony would be a better performer from the go. They are very close and both would serve you well for the money. I liked the DLS a little better in performance> "Meter and Ears" and I like the look of the DLS allot more. I have a couple of other subs that I generally use but for the money I think you would find yourself quit surprised. I viewed Monsters Inc. yesterday with it and I thought it played 96% of the movie very--very well. The other 4% was missed for lack of extension. You would need to spend more than the $150 you speak of to get the extension. It does play with authority though with-in it's range. The Dahlguist has had some good feed-back to lately but I have never listened to it.