Advice on speakers, please

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by VinnieJC, Oct 28, 2003.

1. VinnieJC

VinnieJC Extra

Alright. I have just joined this forum and I'm looking for some speaker advice. I have been reading many threads blasting Bose speakers, which I happen to own (301 series III purchased back in 1995 and the VCS-10 center channel). I don't claim to be an audiophile/home theater expert by any means, and judging by what's being posted, I must be totally out of the loop of what constitutes a good sounding speaker.

My current receiver is an Onkyo TX-DS575 (75W per channel)
    My room is rather small (10x15)
    I'm looking for bookshelfs, as I really don't have the room for floor-standing.

So basically, I'm looking for recommendations for fronts, a center and a sub, as I'm satisfied with my surrounds.

Please refrain from blasting Bose. I know how you guys feel about them.

Thanks

2. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Vinnie,

Whats your budget?

3. VinnieJC

VinnieJC Extra

Woops!! Looking int he $500.00 range for the fronts and center, with $300.00 tops for the sub.

4. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

I think you should take a look at the Rocket ELT package at av123.com. If you want something you can listen to first I would look for a Definitive Technology dealer and listen to either the ProCinema 60 or 80 systems. All of the above include 5 speakers and a sub, and retail between $700-$1000. Good luck with your search.

Keith

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Just to add to Keith’s ELT recommendation, AV123 will package just the speakers you want, not just the whole package. And they will give a discount off the total.

Nothing particularly wrong with the 301s, so no need to apologize. But the ELT center is very much better than your VCS-10. The ELT satellites really require a sub, IMO.

You can check out audioenvey.com or the AV123 site and see if anyone near you has the ELTs.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Mike Knapp just reviewed the ELT system over at Home Theater Talk. Sounds like a very impressive system.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Klipsch Quintets for about $350 at Bestbuy then the rest can go to the sub. A good sub would be an SVS if you can afford one by chance.

Take a look at the Quintets, they are satellite speakers and can be mounted on your wall or hidden anywhere. Hope this helps...

8. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I use the previous version of this sub http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300/632 in my basement, which is bigger thatn 10 x 15 and id does well. This vendor usually sells parts, hence thename Parts Express, but this is an assembled unit. Even with shipping, it will cost about half of what you wanted to spend for thesub, leaving you a few more bucks for your mains and center.

Hapy hunting.

9. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would go w/ Swan's Diva 2.1 mains, C2 center, and Adire Ravs sub for a total of roughly $870. You could also use the 2.1 mains w/out a sub temporarily if you want to save for a better sub (although the Rava is a really great sub), since the 2.1s go down to around 50hz. The 2.1s won't blow you away w/ bass on movies but will do respectably if you want to hold out for a sub.

The C3 center would also be a nice upgrade, but would put the total package (w/sub) at $1k.

The 2.1s also image very well, meaning a center wouldn't neccesarily be mandatory... so 2.1s and the Rava for $700 and saving for the C3 might possibly be the best choice if $800 total is a hard limit. The 2.1s and C3 match up very well tonaly (compared to the C2 w/ smaller woofers and no mid-range) so holding out for the C3 would most likely be a good idea.

Check out the entire Swan's lineup at www.theaudioinsider.com [​IMG]

11. Ronnie Schildha

I am using the same receiver with the JBL NSP1 system and the JBL PB10 sub. Check them out at etronics.com but you better hurry because JBL has changed their product line and etronics.com is probably closing them out. Probably between 350 and 450 dollars for all. Had mine for 2 years and could not be happier.

12. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

13. GregAV

GregAV Agent

You might consider JBL's S series while they are still available.

JBL's S38II bookshelves make great mains though a tad large(they can serve as floorstanders if desired.)

If space is limited, you could run 4 S26's for matching tonality and still be under budget.

The SCenterII center channel completes either of the above choices.

Search the forum for input from Phil Iturralde on JBL's S series - you'll get a "ton" of info.

As far as running sans subwoofer, I had always thought my S38's(45Hz-20KHz)were sufficient for decent DVD audio - and they were - until I added a subwoofer. The difference is night and day as far as HT is concerned.

I second Jack's input on the DLS 300-632. I have one and couldn't be happier in my choice. I cant see spending more on a small sub until you hit the Adire Rava level of performance.

Have fun,

Greg