What's new

Advice on Speakers for a HT System (1 Viewer)

JhonNY

Auditioning
Real Name
Jairo
Hi:

I'm planning to get a brand new HT system from scratch and need advice on what speakers ( brands a models ) you recommend in the price range of $2 - $3K. Sound quality is a priority for me since I have an extensive collection of classical music ( mainly for piano ), but will also listen to world, pop, and other kinds of music including vynil. The receiver I'm planning to get is the Denon AVR-3808CI. I'm thinking of a 7.1 setup with surround sound. Any thoughts on the Vienna Acoustics, Kiplish, Focal?

I greatly appreciate any feedback on this,
Jhon

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Best speakers I've heard for music was the B&W CM series. I liked the CM7's. I have not heard the CM9's yet, but I recommend you do. I was not impressed at all with the center (for movies), and since I'm 99% movies use, I could not justify the extra cost. I see they have a new center now.....

BubbasChili

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
I went for the entry level B&W 600 series 3 speakers and I think they're awesome. Pretty affordable, I got mine for less than 2K during the floor stock sales at one of the dealers in the KC area.

I did upgrade the center channel and sub woofer to the larger models within the series, but find the bookshelf models more than adequate given that I focus more on movies than music. But if you want music, B&W has as much high fidelity as you want to buy. I am a B&W lifer.

motulal

Auditioning
Real Name
Rupert
Hi JhonNY,

Just my $0.02.

HT & 7.1 channel are geared towards movies.
Movies tend to be almost 80 - 90 % center channel.

Music tends to be 2 channel although several multi channel options do exist.
For multi channel music , my personal opinion is to have the exact same speaker all around ( including the center ).

Check out the speakers at Audiophile Loudspeakers and Subwoofers for Home Theater and Music - Ascend Acoustics, renowned speakers,subs,audio for reasonably priced , high quality speakers.

PS I do not work nor am i connected to Ascend Acoustics in any fashion except that i own their products.

/// Motu.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
JhonNY: I've never heard a Focal speaker yet, but I have listened to Klipsch and Vienna's speakers and to me they are at polar opposite ends of the sound spectrum! IMO the Klipsch sound is forward, rather bright, with clean/punchy bass that doesn't go as low compared to other brands of the same size (their high efficiency comes at a price).

OTOH Vienna's are buttery smooth, or "warm" as many like to describe a speaker with laid-back highs and mids but which are still very detailed. Bass is rich & full and goes low but lacks the in-the-gut punch that a Klipsch has. Not that they have *no* punch, just not as much.

Dinner food analogy
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
: Klipsch is a plate of beef enchiladas covered with red-n-spicy sauce; Vienna is comfort food like a bowl of thick & dark brown beef stew with and a side of crusty artisan bread. So both are very satisfying to listen to, but accomplish that in different ways........and just like food, each person has their own feelings about sound & what's satisfying, so make sure you give each a 15-20 minute minimum audition to see which one you like. FYI: bring your own music to do that!

Based on your musical preferences, personally I would go for the Viennas. They can also handle HT duties but won't produce quite as much "excitement" with adventure movies as the Klipschs will, though with the Viennas, because of their easy-going nature there's also a good chance you will be less worn out at the end of the show (though with "chick flicks" or other less boisterous soundtracks, they will be about the same).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks