What's new

Advice on speaker upgrade, please? Infinity IL40's... (1 Viewer)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I've been in ugrade mode recently and am now looking at a possible speaker upgrade. I'm always looking for the cheap way out, though.
If anyone has any experience with any of these speakers I would appreciate your opinion.
I am looking at the Infinity IL-40's which appear to be a very good bargain right now. They originally sold for around $1000 and I think I could probably get a pair for around $300. I have an Infinity IL120 sub so not really worried about the bass response too much.
My question would be, how much of an upgrade....if any...would these be over my current speakers, Klipsch KG5.2's?? I am happy with these but I know there are much better speakers out there, and at this price any improvement might be worth it. My concern is that considering the Klipsch originally sold for around the same ($850 in 1992) that I would probably be getting pretty comparable performance from the Infinity's, and maybe not even as good?
Suggestions, opinions, advice, criticism, insults??? All accepted with a smile :)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Here....I'll also make it easier and provide some possible responses. You can respond by number if you like!

1. Those Infinity's are awesome and would be quite an improvement over those horn-loaded pieces of crap!
2. Nope....I don't think you'd get any appreciable improvement from the Infinity's...keep the Klipsches and start saving your pennies for something better you cheap bastard!
3. Do you really expect to get great sound for only $300?!!?? Try $3000 maybe! Sheesh, what an idiot!
4. Hell....at that price why not take a shot. You never know!
5. Anything would be an improvement over horns!

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm,,,,Ok I know yesterday was Mother's Day so I'll bump this up. I would go listen to these but they have been discontinued, hence the discount. I'm kind of putting some faith in the reviews I've read and opinions I get here. That reminds me....I'll add another selection:
6. Anybody that would buy speakers without listening to them first is an idiot!

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
The Infinity Interlude serie are good speakers, in my opinion they are better for movies than music because they aren't as detail sounding as some of the other's I've listen to. I think they will better your current Klipsh even though I haven't listen to them, Klipsch has a reputation for sounding bright. The reviewers also think these are good speakers, and definitely good for $300.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the opinion, Lam...I appreciate it!
Anyone else have an opinion???

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think you need to figure out what your goals and what sort of financial committment you want to make towards that goal.
As to whether this is an upgrade or more of a lateral movement is in the eye of the beholder. I look at it as the latter. Maybe you just haven't found the sort of speaker that works best both in your room or to your ears. Given that you'll be 'upgrading' again maybe in a year or so and making another possible lateral movement again. That to me is financially irresponsible and while fun is more akin to searching for the next great high. Each lateral move comes at an expense of time and definitely money.
We all, each of us, have certain expectations out of a home theater setup. None is wrong. There are those who want to recreate a movie experience and then some and are prepared to spend lavishly to reach that goal. Others just want something decent, something better than the stereo speakers out of our TV's. Something that gives movie watching a more enjoyable experience.
So I pick #2 and I further suggest that you take the next year off and go around and listen to various speakers at various price points. Pay attention to the type of rooms those speakers are in. THAT affects the sound. Sock your money away in a separate bank account and add to it regularly. Maybe the speakers that work for you are the Infinity's. Maybe it's something else.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
#2 huh? I believe that choice includes the 'cheap bastard' reference! :frowning:
That was pretty much my thought also, though. As usual your advice is very insightful and practical but, of course, also the most boring option I listed. Don't you know my generation demands instant gratification :angry:
Actually I am not that unhappy with my speakers, it's just that I know there are much better speakers out there, AND I WANT THEM NOW!!! :angry: No....just kidding! Thanks for the input. Your advice is always appreciated. ;)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I vote #2 as well.

If you are so determined to improve your sound then I would echo Chu, start listening to as much as possible to find what suits your tastes before making some more primarily lateral moves.
I am sure San Diego has some decent stores and if they don't then there are good stores all over California. Good excuse for some roadtrips.
Plus if you save your pennies you could afford something better than those pieces of crap!:) Hey you said it first. Note this does not mean you need to save 3,000 pennies. Once you know your tastes better, then you may find the perfect speaker for you for much less, like 2,999 pennies.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
not cheap bastard Rob...not at all. From having read your posts you seem to have developed the HT or whatever bug. That's fine. I just don't want it to lead you to spur of the moment decisions and I definitely don't want to have my hand on your wallet. To paraphrase Happy Gilmour, you need to find your Happy Place. That's gonna take some time and patience on your part. Look, if you sock away the money and you decide you only need $600 to reach your goals but you've to $1300, I look at it as you're $700 closer to a nice vacation with your wife.
Going around, listening to speakers and forgetting the bullsh*t salesmen spiel about how 'the Vladivostok 02 amplifier with corinthian leather really makes these speakers sing' routine, you can focus on different speakers. Some speakers need more work and can be finnicky about the room than others. But you'll start to figure that out as you go out there. So go listen to various speakers and by all means don't get concerned if you don't hear any chatter about them. Too often I'll see posts that go something like, "how come nobody talks about Jamo?" Now the person may be wondering if there's something he doesn't know...maybe a quality issue. Or he may be the sort that needs the comfort of others having bought the same brand.
There's no shortage of good speakers out there. Some are technically better than others, sure.
Go out and listen and leave your credit cards home.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
BTW, often we tend to live with this reality thing called a budget. Budget says x% goes to this and so forth. My oldest, some time back, decided he wanted a particular TV. Now he could've charged it or he could've saved. But he wanted it quick. So even though he was making very good money, he'd placed himself on a budget. His decision was to take a part time job as an assistant manager in Sears' electronics dept. In 3 weeks, working only 1-2 days a week, he'd socked away enough money to buy the TV and a digital camera (commisions I guess were good). Just a thought...and btw, the Lakers suck :D

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
when i first started HT, i went for infinity speakers also, all i can say they are good speakers. to clarifiy this more, that was back in 1996 in malaysia (another third worlds country). on top of the brand you are getting a good price ($300) i was shopping for speakers also and my first brand off my mind is infinity IL40. ebay has it "buy it now" at $450 + shipping. i didn't end up buying infinity IL40 cos i didn't audition them. i end up paradigm monitor 7. i audition energy connoisseur, nht, kef. you can't get enough just by browsing the net and comparing reviews and folks opinions. your best judge is your ears. give some time and go audition speakers preferable at home. this is part of the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks