What's new

Advice on speaker stands (1 Viewer)

I finally got a receiver, speakers, and cables, now all I need are speaker stands. After deciding on everything else I thought this would be easy, but no, it's not allowed to be.

I bought the Axiom m22s and think 18" stands will be the best height, but I can't decided on what types of stands. I've seen some wooden MDF stands for about $35, but I was wondering if it's worth paying more for metal stands, as in how much of a difference does it really make.

Also, how important are floor spikes, and is it ok if the top plate of the stands is smaller than the base of the speaker.

Thanks

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joseph,
I've also got the M22s. They are really nice BTW. I've got them sitting on some Sanus 18" Natural Foundations. You can check them out at Sanus.com. There is some overhang of the base plate. I just put some blue-tak on the base at where the four corners of the speakers would sit, and two little blobs over the screws where you attach pole to base. (This holds the speakers really well. I was messing around my Entertainment center and backed into one of the speakers and it was nowhere near to falling over. Scared me though:) Then I lined the speaker up to be even across the front and it looks really nice. About a half inch hangs over the back and you have triangles of the base showing on either side because of the way the M22 tapers back. These stands are $80 and come with some nice carpet spikes and a cable management system its just a piece of rectangular acrylic that fits into to slits in the back of the stand but it works really well. Any stand you get should work fine as long as its the height you want and is sturdy. Also using that blu-tak to decouple the speaker from the base is a great idea I learned off this forum:). Good Luck.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you have some tools you could build some MDF stands that fit your idea of ideal dimensions and are very sturdy. Cost should be in the $10-$20USD range for a pair.

Thanks for the replies

I was thinking of building my own, but I'm at school now and don't have access to any tools, and it will be three weeks before I go home again, and I can't wait that long to start using these.

Thanks

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Jason, you have no idea how much that makes me laugh.

Right now lazy is exactly how I would describe myself :p)

Marc H

Second Unit
Get as rigid a stand as possible. It will really benefit the imaging on the M22Tise.
Spikes can benefit the quality too but it depends on the room and floor.
The top plate doesn't have to be an exact fit and with the shape of the M22Tise, you might end up with a bit of the top plate sticking out at the back.
I haven't tried it myself but I have had more than one person tell me that blutack between the stand and the speaker is a good thing too.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Joseph, I just recently purchased a pair of Metal Tech 18" stands from Crutchfield.com and boy are they some neat stands. They are also very sturdy!
Here's a pic of what they look like:

Here's a link to them at Crutchfield.com:
18" stands

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks