What's new

Advice on Size & Types of Projector Screens (1 Viewer)

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy,

As per Adam Barratt's review on the Panasonic AE500E Projector I have chosen this for my projection unit. However Im having trouble picking out a screen to display it on, I borrowed a projector from the office for the weekend to test out designs for my HT Room, The throw distance is going to be about 4.7m. When it is displayed its just alittle bigger then 100inch.

Im just wondering are there many diffrent types of finishes on the projector screens? diffrent crystals? which are the good ones to go for etc..?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
A lot has to do with your budget. You can make a screen yourself using various screen finishes or you can purchase something like the Stewart Firehawk which has a gray/silver colour to it. This is the option that I would have liked but since the screen was not in my budget at the time, I made my own screen Much time was spent trying to find the right paint so that I could achieve similar results to the Firehawk.

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Projectorcentral.com does not have a listing for the AE500E. They list most projectors and provide throw calculators for most as well. Don't know what projector you borrowed for testing but unless it is the exact same model as the one you ordered, the throw/image size will be different.

For example: The Panasonic PT-L500U throw calculator indicates a 118" diag image at 14.1 foot throw. Some projectors have shorter throws and others are longer. If you have already taken all of this into consideration, please ignore.

As for the screens, there are many many differences. I suggest you go to AVSforum.com display devices, screens and read the threads there. You can call companies like Dalite and discuss with them your screen size, lumens output, seating and room logistics and they will advise you on material for your needs. AVdeals.com is another wonderful source. They are also very knowledgeable, have great prices, free shipping and great customer service. They carry both Dalite and Stewart. I also think AVSForum sells some screens.

Good luck and hope something here was helpful.
~ Lou ~ :D FP WOW!!! :D

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,
Just realized you are in Australia, sorry for being an assuming American.

Still recommend the AVSforum for screen info. However, during my research, I did come across an Australian supplier. They down talked grey screens. I posted and the idea got bounced around (I now forget whether it was here or in AVS) but all seemed in agreement that supplier was downtalking the grey because they do not sell grey material. If you come across that merchant, be forewarned. Forum posters love grey, just check out all of the posts!!

Of course, the right material will ultimately be a function of your specific system, lighting, seating, and overall room dynamics. If you have room to permanently display your screen, as Neil indicated above, many build their own ("DIY") much less expensively than purchasing. I have even read about some that built their own electric drop screens.
Hope this helps,
~ Lou ~ :D FP - WOW!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks