1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Botvinick, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

I am sure you have answered this questions a thousand times. My set up is a "powerful" Kenwood Pro-logic receiver and a Pioneer DVD. When I watch a DVD is it better to put the DVD player in Dolby Digital or "stereo" mode? Or does it not even matter? Obviously there is not digital connection between the Kenwood and the DVD. My spekaers are Def Tech 2000 and Polk Audio rears and center.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    [email protected]
    ------------------

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're running a pro logic only reciever, you should have your DVD player audio output set to "analog". That will pass the signal through the RCA outputs so you can use the pro logic setting on your receiver.

3. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike,
    But I had that set up already. My question is that when I watch a DVD movie which output should I choose for that particualr movie? Normaly I run it in Dolby Digital and the movie sounds OK. ( I am hoping to get the Outlaw for the holiday as a present). I am assuming that since I am using the analog RCA cables it doesn't matter what format I choose to watch a particular movie in.
    Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Michael

4. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

If the movie has Dolby 2Ch or Dolby Stereo, I would use that setting.
    You are refering to the actual setting that is in the MENU section on the DVD, usually in the LANGUAGE section right?

5. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    If the analog output of your DVD player is stereo (only two jacks) then the analog signal will always be in Dolby ProLogic, no matter which audio track you pick (5.1 or 2.0). However, in one case your DVD player will be downmixing the DD5.1, while in the other you'll be selecting the ProLogic encoding designed by the people who created the disc.
    In general, I think selecting the two channel audio track would be more appropriate when listening on your ProLogic system. In some cases, however, reviewers have claimed that the disc editors really botched it. (Sorry, I don't recall specific examples.)