What's new

Advice on replacing speakers for Onkyo HTIB? (1 Viewer)

l0lcat

Auditioning
Real Name
Dima
I've had this system for a few years now, the HT-S3400: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S3400&class=Systems&source=prodClass

To preface: I have this system connected to my tv and use it primarily for movies, shows, video games, and occasionally music as well.

I recently began to hear a tinny sound come out of one of the front speakers and moved to a new apartment a few weeks ago where I kind of don't feel like doing the whole 5.1 setup again. Too much cable management and pain dealing with the speaker stands behind the couch, etc. The idea of getting a new pair of floor standing speakers for the front and keeping the Onkyo receiver, sub, and center speaker (3.1) seems pretty appealing so I've been looking at those.

I'm looking at these speakers, the Pioneer SP-FS52-LR: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4/

What I'm not sure about is whether these will actually work with my receiver? The spec for the receiver for the front output says:
  • Front L/R 110 W/Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 channel driven, FTC)
The speakers that came with the receiver say 120 W, 6 Ohms on them.

The specs for the speakers say:
  • Configuration...............................................................3-way
  • Frequency Range.............................................40 Hz-20 kHz
  • Nominal Impedance................................................6 Ohms
  • Maximum Input Power...............................................130 W
Admittedly, I don't know too much about this stuff so I'm just not sure what to expect here. Is there any danger of damaging the speakers with my receiver? Will there be any compatibility issues?

Any other thoughts on my whole plan welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
As far as compatibility, the Onkyo receiver and the Pioneer speakers are both 6 ohm, so you are 100% good to go.

If you just replace the left/front then you have the potential problem of the speakers sounding a little different ("timber matching"), but whether or not that bothers you is a personal decision. And since the Pioneer's are reasonable priced, if you decide you do hear the difference and it bothers you, you can always upgrade the rest of the speakers.

For what it's worth, the Pioneers have a higher sensitivity (86 vs 80 db), so they'll be a bit louder. So if you mix and match you'll want to re-calibrate your system.

l0lcat

Auditioning
Real Name
Dima
Thanks for the response, much appreciated! I'll probably pick up the matching center as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks