Advice on replacing my primary DVD player, please

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ed Faver, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Well, the day is drawing near when my Panny RP56 is going to have to be removed from the rack and I am considering my next purchase. My 43" Hitachi Ultravision HD set does not have HDMI or DVI ports, so it appears that Blu ray or HD DVD are not an option. I am about 3 years away from replacing my monitor, so I need something to bridge the gap. I'd like to stay under $500. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. ericJed

ericJed Agent

I may be new to this form, But I would give a SOLID recommendation to a really good Sony. The DVP-NS55P Under $70.00. I have one that replaced a Denon and I think the Sony is far better then my high priced Denon.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

What's wrong with the Panasonic? What features are you looking for...better video? Multi channel music? Better CD playback? etc...

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

So I'm imported eh! [​IMG]

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Ed,

The Toshiba HD-DVD player on the market now outputs 1080i via component video and reports are that the RCA and most other HD-DVD models scheduled for release this summer will also. The Toshiba also upcoverts standard DVDs to 1080i via component video and from reports so far, does it very well.

6. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    IS THAT THE $500 OR THE $1000 ONe? I was thinking about that, because I was going to buy the Denon 1920 that upconverts. But I do have an HD set, so thinking for the extra $150 I could get the cheaper HD-DVD...

7. Dan Driscoll

That's the $500 HD-A1.

8. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard

That is absolutely false according to the manual and all user reports I have read. The HD-A1 does not upconvert protected standard DVD's over component, only HDMI. That means the overwhelming majority of commercially sold DVD's can not be upconverted over component. I know it is weird since true HD DVD's can be upscaled over component as long as there is no ICT flag preventing it. I won't say it is logical, just true.

Chris

9. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Andrew-

THe problem with the Panny occurred after the machine has been playing for more than 2 hours. While a disc is playing, I get a subtle (at the start) flashing across the top 6 inches of the screen, extending the full width of the monitor. When I switch back to input from the cable box or DVR or VCR, the flashing stops. I switched in another DVD player and had no flashing. So, I concluded it's time to ask for advise on replacing the player...

10. Dan Driscoll

Yep, my mistake. The guy I heard that from was referring to his own DVD-R disks.

The HD-A1 acts just like a standard definition up-converting player.