advice on projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by mikeNoia, Jan 8, 2006.

1. mikeNoia

mikeNoia Auditioning

I need help. Looking to buy a new flat screen or projector. My room is large enoung to handle a 10' screen. During the daylight hours there's some sunlight in the room plus it opens to the kitchen and will be subject to that area lighting. I'd love to have a projector (more screen size). Are there some projectors that aren't affected by some light in the room that don't cost an extreme amount of money?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    That room is definitely not the ideal situation. You would need to get a higher lumen projector, and go with a gray screen. You need to do some reading at Projectorcentral.com. You can do a projector search there based on your budget, DLP or LCD, etc.

3. John S

John S Producer

I'm going to bank that the bargain SP5000 from Infocus will meet your needs.

I had to pretty much flood my room with light to get the performance to notice-ably deteriorate, I was shocked at how good it was.

4. mikeNoia

mikeNoia Auditioning

John, What kind of screen are you using with your Infocus SP5000?

5. John S

John S Producer

The free white screen... Nothing special at all.

The 76" size help a lot. The projector is really bright at that screen size and throw.

The Infocus store also allows a 30 day return. So there is virtually no risk to try it out. Look for a cieling mount on Ebay though. I found the Infocus mount and extension for a decent deal, but in looking at it, if I had it to do over again, I think I would of saved 1/2 and went with one of the ebay mounts. The ebay mounts can be found by searching on the projector model number.