Advice on product Selection

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by todd<>C, Dec 31, 2003.

1. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

I am in the market for a Home Theater. I have roughly 500 to 600 to spend, not much but i want to get something i can build around. i currently live in an apartment, but will buy a house in the next yr. i am limited to about 200 at best buy. i have a good dvd player and my tv is decent, but doesnt have audio outputs. i can route it through my vcr for the time being until i upgrade it, but not looking to upgrade it at this point though. Ii was looking at getting a box system, but have changed my mind since researching. This is the one I was looking into Yamaha Model: YHT-440. I think the reciever is good enough to build around but didnt know if its better to build around speakers or a reciever.

here is somethings i found(from Bestbuy).
    Recievers:
    yamaha HTR-5640 (higher end)

KLH R-5100 (never heard of it, but had lots of i/p and 6.1 channel and higher watts than yamaha, could get better
    speakers if get this one)

Onkyo TX-SR501

Speakers:
    JBL SCS160SI
    JBL SCS136SI (both same price)

I appreciate any suggestions.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Todd.

When asking for advice about particular HTiB models, please post here. The Basics area is for general discussion of home-theater concepts at the beginner level. Thanks. And good luck.

3. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

where do i post then? i thought this forum was for asking beginner level questions about ht hardware also. not really looking for advice on htib but on building a system from the beginning on a limited budget.

4. John S

John S Producer

I thought I responded to this once.. Hmmmm...

The fairly killer bargain complete system I have been suggesting as of late is:

Onkyo SR-501 from ecost for like $185
    Sony 12" SA-WM500 sub from B&H for like $135
    Yahama NS-6490 speakers from etronics for like $70 per pair.
    (You need 3 pair to get your 6.1 setup)

Best of luck with your system.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread but this is for John S. I have read in other threads about you using the 6490's for all 6 spots. How do you put an 8" three-way as a center channel? I have a pair of the previous model's (NS-A635) and those are pretty large. Dosen't it fall off the TV! By the way, BB.com had the 6490's for $49.95 per pair with free shipping last month. Almost bought a couple of them just for the hellofit. GENE