What's new

Advice on popping THE question.... (1 Viewer)

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Not to turn this into a tax thread, but I think we are in agreement right, Matt?

2 individuals making $40,000/year pay less combined than a married couple making $80,000. The problem is the standard deduction is not scaled properly for a couple, nor are the tax brackets themselves. So it ends up biting us a little bit. Apparently, Bush's tax cut will ease this beginning in 2003, and will phase it out over the next 5 years, but for now we are stuck.

And I agree about the one-knee. It is classy and chicks really go for that stuff.

Jason

P.S. John, I didn't mean for my comment to be scathing...I just did my taxes the other night and am a bit jaded about the whole thing.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Hey Jason,

First off I have to say I agree with the getting down on one knee. You gotta do it right.

On the tax question, I think we are in agreement. My understanding is that if 2 individuals are making $40,000 each and they get married, then they pay more tax now than they did when they were single. But if you had a different couple that also made $80,000, but one spouse earned it all and the other earned nothing, then of course once married they pay the same amount as the other couple making $80,000, but the spouse who earns the $80,000 is paying less tax than he was when he was single and was making $80,000.

Matt

PS-I guess I should tell my engagement story. My wife knew the question was coming, so it wasn't a surprise, but I took her up to one of the canyons near here and took a picnic up with us and asked her there.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
shucks... don't tell anyone, but I'm real sappy romantic at heart.
Not compared to me..

I been ga-ga over the same girl since 1st grade!

I like to tell her sweet things in ELVISH..

It's like Arwen in Aragorn, I swear..

I tell her things like: You complete me, Without you I'm nothing, I love you, I want to be with you forever and various other things..

In Elvish.

If that ain't sappy, I don't know what is.

Nathan

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
Take her on the Universal Studios tour and propose to her just as Jaws is popping out of the water.:)
Mike
PS- I can't believe I was ther first one to get this in.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Advice:

Just be sure to be down on one knee. We have to keep the traditions alive, and chivalry is one of them. Plus, it is the only stylish way to do it.
I agree. Don't be an idiot and do what I did. It was dark, we were walking from my car into her parent's house, and I asked her what was "wrong" with her hand. Then, while pretending to try to figure out what was "wrong" with it, I slipped a ring on her finger and asked her to marry me.

What an idiot. (She said yes, anyway, but it could have been more magical.)

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Well I found out that my girlfriend was guessing that I might propose when we went on holidays so I decided to pop the question last weekend!
We had both already picked out a ring (she liked the stone on one ring but not the band - so the jeweller, who was a friend of the family, made up a band especially for her, to hold the stone she had chosen) so it was just a matter of when she got it!
It was my birthday on sunday and Judy decided she was taking me out for a meal saturday night but wouldn't tell me where (It was a surprise). To be able to arrange the night, I had my sister find out where she had booked the meal (I didn't want to know) and "arrange" to meet Judy and I after the meal for a few drinks.
A couple of days before the meal my sister and mother called to the restaraunt, spoke to the manager and clued him into what I was planing to do. It was arranged that at some stage during the night I would go use the restroom and pass him the ring.
The basic layout of the restaraunt is basically a large square room with smoking against the wall and non smoking seating in the centre but for saturday night they rearranged it so that we would have a nice table by the wall for just the two of us. The plan was set...
Trying to eat a meal when you're planning to propose is not the easiest thing to do! ;) After the meal, as planned, I excused myself, met the manager and gave him the ring. He asked did I want them to bring it out now or wait a few minutes. "A few minutes would be fine" I replied.
After a few minutes Judy was getting impatient as she wanted to see the desert menu when amazingly, without her ordering anything, it arrived at the table.
They made up a tray with two little deserts on a tray with sparklers and the ring was in its box between them with a rose corsage (that my mother had made up) on top of it and brought it to the table. It took her a few minutes to cop that the ring was on the tray - her initial reaction was "I didn't order this".
The look on her face when she realised what was going to happen was priceless! So I got the box went down and one knee and asked her to marry me.
After what seemed like an eternity she answered yes and a big round of applause went up in the restaraunt - I didn't realise the place had come to a complete stop.
Amazingly she lost her appetite and was unable to finish the desert.
After that we went and met our parents for a few drinks. It was a great night.
Unfortunately at this moment she is recovering in hospital after having had her tonsils removed!
So there you have it!
Adrian

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
:) Congratulations Adrian! :) Best wishes to you and your bride to be!
I asked my wife to marry me when we were alone by the water. I didn't realize what a risk it was to do so on a dock. The risk wasn't that she would say no, I was more worried about the ring falling between the boards and into the water!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Maith thu!

Your wife-to-be has just uttered your first 'insider' joke.

Whenever you find her temper rising, remind her how she "Didn't order this"!

I do bheatha sa tus, sa deireadh

Gra, anois go deo na ndeor.

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto to what Ryan did, I was lame, and I regret it now. She basically knew I had the ring, so the trick was to surprise her, and going to dinner or something like that was obvious. So, i snuck into the parking lot of her work and waited, she saw me from the window too dammit. Ah well, at least she said yes.
The Disney thing is a great idea.:emoji_thumbsup:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
sigh, my own experience sounds so boring compared to everyone else's, I just asked her after a nice dinner at a nice restaurant. didn't get down on one knee (oops!).
oh well, at least it was Valentine's Day. ;)

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
I thought this was going to be a thread on how to get her to agree to a cylindrical subwoofer
Crap! I knew I should have had a follow up question ;)
Drove down to Limerick to visit her in hospital after her op. She's still a bit sore but is looking forward to going home.
I noticed that a lot of the engagement cards she had received made comment to the fact that I'm going to have a bit of piece and quiet for a while! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks