What's new

Advice On New AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
If you buy all brand speakers alike, will that help with the matching? I thought the Klipsch would fit in great as front channel speakers but perhaps not.

This is verbatim the Polk instructions on the subwoofer...

"Connect the left and right channel speaker output from your electronics to the left and right speaker level INPUT of the subwoofer. Connect the subwoofer left and right speaker level OUTPUT to the corresponding left and righ speakers.

If it's easier, you can connect two sets of speaker wires from your electronics running one set to the sub and the other to the front speakers."

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ColColt said:
If you buy all brand speakers alike, will that help with the matching? I thought the Klipsch would fit in great as front channel speakers but perhaps not.
It is always preferred to timber match your speakers. Meaning same brand/series. But, there is no reason to chuck everything and start over. There are AVR out there that do "Zone 2". You could move the Klipsch to another room(maybe??) and feed them from the AVR you buy. Both the E400 and 673 would do this

This is verbatim the Polk instructions on the subwoofer...

"Connect the left and right channel speaker output from your electronics to the left and right speaker level INPUT of the subwoofer. Connect the subwoofer left and right speaker level OUTPUT to the corresponding left and righ speakers.
You will not do that with a modern AVR. And I hope you didn't do that with the 5560.

If it's easier, you can connect two sets of speaker wires from your electronics running one set to the sub and the other to the front speakers."

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
That was their preferred method "for most systems" and the method I went with. It's been hooked into the 5560 like that since 2002.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And I presume you set the 5560 up as...

1. No subwoofer
2. Front "large" (which if you picked "no subwoofer" this was default)

Do not do that with the never AVR.

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
That was the setup. This subwoofer in the back has a connection marked "LFE" and two others marked R and another L, Line Level Input. I assume just one cable goes from the LFE to the new AVR sub out?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ColColt said:
That was the setup. This subwoofer in the back has a connection marked "LFE" and two others marked R and another L, Line Level Input. I assume just one cable goes from the LFE to the new AVR sub out?
Yep.

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I went upstairs to check out a movie favorite I hadn't seen in a while and especially since I got the BD player, "Pearl Harbor". I went to the scene where they were doing the bombing and all speakers including the subwoofer did an admirable job. It was like you were in the middle of it all. I did increase the level of the L-R surround speakers +1db and you could easily hear the planes coming in from the rear left, going through you to the right rear speaker...just superb for my ears. The torpedo as it hit the first ship via the subwoofer rattled the floor. You gotta love it! :)

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I've noticed the RX-V673 is not available most places like Best Buy, B&H Photo, New Egg, or ebay etc. They say it's no longer available. About the only place is Amazon. Must be this past years model.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You aren't finding that in a store, no.

Accessories for less(maybe) and Amazon will be it.

However...you "might" have more luck with the RX-A720, but I doubt it.

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Amazon seems to be about it for a new one but, I have no qualms about ordering from them. I'd done so for years. Malcolm did recommend it over the 475 and there were a couple things I liked about it over the 475. There's so many choices out there it's worse than trying to find your favorite cereal at the grocery store.

I liked the slightly higher power of the 673 and upscaling over the 475 as well as the "Dialogue Lift". It may be a better AVR for me all in all. Heavy dude at 22.5 pounds.

The 675 model seems to have basically the same specs and easier to find, however. It is about $150 more.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
ColColt said:
I liked the slightly higher power of the 673 and upscaling over the 475 as well as the "Dialogue Lift".

Just remember dialogue lift is not just a feature you turn on, to use it requires an additional pair of speakers for your front stage. This extra set of speakers will need to be installed high and outboard of your mains. The Yamaha now splits the center channel to three speakers and the crossover for all three is automatically set by whatever crossover you set for the center channel. When considering dialog lift youll also need to consider your room. If you dont have much room between your mains and the side walls youll be installing the high channels close to a side wall and close to the ceiling. This close proximity to hard flat surfaces and the resulting acoustic reflections, I guarantee you, is going to create a hollow sound for every sound coming from your center channel. This is easily solved with acoustic absorbers, for both the ceiling and side wall, but its still an extra consideration that should be on your mind. Dont get me wrong and think its a PITA with little benefit. Since incorporating dialog lift Ive never been the same. Its a killer feature that, if implemented correctly, makes your whole front stage melt away into your screen exactly as it should.

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I guess I had it wrong. I thought he Dialogue Life and Virtual Presence were the same where it sounded like there was an additional pair of speakers but, not in actuality. The 673 does have that feature.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Yamaha/Yamaha-RX-V673.18.jpg

This is why I had the notion it was a presence instead of actual speakers...

"Dialogue Lift raises the sound of dialogue from the center speaker to a position in the center of the screen. Newly developed virtual dialogue lift achieves dialogue lift function even without the need for presence speakers. Dialogue Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialogue and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening."

My side walls are probably around 12 feet from the main speakers both left and right.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Two different features.Dialogue lift is using Presence. Virtual(hence, the word virtual) Dialogue lift does not use Presence speakers.They are not used "together".If you put in Presence, you use one. If you don't, you use other one.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yamaha allows its version of "Dialog Lift" either with presense speakers or without. (One "setting", two paths through the circuitry.) I've never tried it without presence speakers so I don't know how well it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks