Advice on my next X-Box purchase

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jesse Blacklow, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I've finished the GTA 2-pack and Prince of Persia, now I'm looking for something else to sink my teeth into until Ninja Gaiden comes out in February. I've heard good things about a bunch of stuff, and basically I want to which is worth my time, or if there's something better out there.

I've heard a lot about:

Raven Shield - Splinter Cell was pretty cool, and I'm eagerly awaiting Pandora Tommorrow. I played the first Rainbow Six, but the insane RPG-style preparation sucked. Is the process streamlined yet? Unfortunately I don't have Live, so single-player is pretty important.

Project Gotham Racing 2 - I liked Gran Turismo, but not the endless, 50-lap, multi-hour races. I hear PGR2 looks and sounds good, but I'm looking for an arcade racer more than endurance. Again, no Live, so if the AI is insanely easy or frustratingly hard with no chewy middle, I'm not interested.

Crimson Skies - It sounds well scripted, well though-out, and plays like a dream. The SP campaign looks like it could hold my interest. Is the hype more than just that?

Otogi - Reviews put this one as technically beautiful, but imperfectly executed. I liked Onimusha, but not the "rails" it put me on. I hear this one's more open, but same general concept.

Devil May Cry 1 - By all accounts, this one rocked and #2 blew, but I can't really tell why. Would I be better off with this or Otogi?

All of those look pretty good, but I'm wondering which will be most worthy of my time. Any advice, suggestions on something else?

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

You and me both. [​IMG]

Try out (if you can rent it first) Rainbow Six 3. It doesn't have the "planning" phase that the previous Rainbow games had. I didn't enjoy that planning stuff myself...but I love RS3. So far, I'm enjoying the single-player quite a bit. (Although I just got Live, so I've been doing a lot of multi-play.) [​IMG]

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

If you liked Splinter Cell, I'd reccommend Mission Impossible. I personally liked it better than Splinter Cell. The graphics aren't as good and you don't have to rely on shadow hiding as much, but the action in MI is better.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Lots of folks seem to love "Metal Arms: Glitch in the System".

I just saw a review on it last night on Tech TV and they loved the title.

I'm debating on picking it up myself. Apparantly its a solid 40 hr romp.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Peronally, I've had fun going through the single player of Crimson Skies (though I admit I used cheats when it got difficult). The multiplayer is fun.

I usually have a rule that I don't pay more than $29.99 for a game (I usually wait until the price drops) but this one intrigued me when it went on sale for $37.99 a few weeks ago and I don't regret making the purchase.

It's not a true flight-sim, of course. It's easy to learn, hard to "master" which is the way I like it. [​IMG]

6. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

PGR2: Good stuff. Probably about as good as racing games come. Its not so indepth that you need to live your life in front of the tv screen (like GT3) and the kudos challenges are the perfect topping to an otherwise solid experience. Highly recommended.

Otogi: Its good...but kind of falls apart in the middle. Devil May Cry was better. The gameplay is probably going to be kind of similiar to Ninja Gaiden so I'd stay away from this for now. Wait til its budget priced.

I highly recommend Beyond Good and Evil as a great adventure game with a heavy plotline. It was Ubisoft's other killer title that fell by the wayside. Gunvalkyrie is another XBox fav if you haven't tried it yet. It goes for cheap and is still one of the best games for the system.

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Beyond Good and Evil is an excellent game; sold so poorly, though, they recently dropped the price like gangbusters. EXCELLENT game.

If you've not played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic yet, run out and get it. It's a no brainer.

8. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

Raven Shield - If you don't have Xbox Live then you should hold off on buying this.

Project Gotham Racing 2 - The single player has more than enough variety and substance to keep your attention. Best overall racer on the xbox.

Otogi - It's worth a try, that's for sure. One thing to keep in mind that many levels have an internal time limit, so you have to hone your skills. The art direction and graphics are splendid as well, but the overall gameplay can get predictable.

Crimson Skies - From what I've heard the single player is very well put together, but don't expect to get too much play time out of it.

I can also give you some other suggestions:

Midnight Club 2 - Much better flair and sense of speed compared to PGR2. The game is tough on you, but very rewarding.

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - Atmospheric action title, very cheap and enjoyable

Oddworld - Lots of fun to me, hampered by some inconsistency.

Panzar Dragoon Orta - Again the price is defenitely right for this game. It's not as good as Ikaruga, but blows rouge leader out of the water....

Before I forget:

Fatal Frame - Turn off the lights, turn up the A/V, close door...you will have a tough time sleeping that night.

Silent Hill 2 - Gameplay could use an overhaul, but the story is too good to pass up.

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Of the list you provided I would suggest PGR2. I have no idea how many hours I've spent on the single player game alone, not to mention Xbox Live. It's the game that keeps on giving, something you can always turn back to as it's never truly "finished". Great handling, great graphics, and none of the big grueing courses. [​IMG] Well, only one - the final challenge in the world series (Nurgergring) that lasts about 15 minutes.

That said there were two other suggestions that caught my eye: Metal Arms and Beyond Good & Evil. I've played the former as a demo and it was amazing, and everyone who has reviewed has loved, possible contender for sleeper of the year. Caveat is that it is supposed to be extremely hard. For BG&A it's now a steal since the price dropped out and another on my list. Garnering consistently excellent reviews and looks to have a lot of great style and gameplay, although supposed to be a little short. Actually, because it's not too lengthy may be just the title to fill in the gap before Gaiden.

10. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

I definitely second the suggestions of BUFFY and PANZER DRAGOON ORTA.

Either Buffy game will do, but the original has less characters but more charm (I think). Although its cool being able to play as Willow and others from the series. Both are solid action titles. =) There's also Indiana Jones, developed by the original Buffy team. I don't have it but wish I did. More solid Tomb Raider-esque action.

Star Wars: KOTOR is also a MUST have, the finest game of the year, no doubt about it. But it is a deep, soul consuming work of art. Perhaps not in visuals, but storywise, this beats everything.

11. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Thanks for all the responses, guys! I ended up going with PGR2 and I'm loving it. I'm a big fan of the little details, especially with D.C., since I'm from the area. They even have the right radio stations and DJs! It looks and sounds real nice on my LCD projector & 7.1 system (mmm Mustang *drool*). Beyond Good and Evil also looks really good, and since it's going for cheap I might pick it up as well.

Re: KOTOR. I'm picking this up eventually, but I'm going to get the PC version for better graphics and extra content, and also because I've heard of some bugs in the X-Box version.

12. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

You know that you can easily see this exact information in your profile options when you get into the game, right Jay? [​IMG] I think those bastards at BC did that just so you can lament the utter addiction they've inflicted upon you. It's somewhat stunning to realize you've travelled roughly enough for a cross-country trip in a video game. And I don't even know whether that counts all those races that you retry without finishing, since at least the cars' odometers do not count that mileage. If that's true, I've probably driven enough to reach roughly into the Magellenic Clouds.

13. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I had glanced at it earlier shortly after I bought the game but have been scared to look since. [​IMG]