Advice on "Lemon" Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phillip Murphy, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Phillip Murphy

Phillip Murphy Auditioning

I thought maybe some of you have been through something similar and could give me some advice on how to handle it.

I bought a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver back in January of 2001, has a two year warranty. The receiver starting putting static in the rear speakers while in any DSP mode in December.

I took the unit back to the dealer, that is an authorized service center. They had it for FOUR weeks and sent it back to me. Hooked it up, same problem.

Called Yamaha, they had me take it back to the dealer and the dealer send it to United Radio - their Regional Service Center contractor. Gone another FOUR weeks, sent back to me with "Repair broken connection in digital processing circuit" marked on it. Took it home, same problem.

Took it to the dealer tonight and had them hook it up in thei A/V room. Same problem, so that rules out anything of mine (other than the receiver).

The dealer is saying they have no recourse, can't exchange, can't give money back - call Yamaha. They also noted that Yamaha may be reluctant to replace it since it has only been in service twice (for 2 months!).

Any suggestions on how to handle this situation with either the dealer or Yamaha? I would greatly appreciate any advice as I am pretty ticked at this point.

Sorry for how long this is, but wanted to give the facts.

Thanks,

Phillip

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Call Yamaha and tell them it hasn't worked since you have had it. And that you want satisfaction now! And then give them one last chance. If bad results go to BBB and complain everywhere at ever forum. Also your visa card will extend the warranty. Get them involved.
    And this is the policy I have always adhered to= If it works out of the box, keep it. If it doesn't , get another brand. Don't bother switching out units of the same model. Good companies will exchange a DOA without any hassle and even do a credit or change models and brands.[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

You may also want to check to see if your state has lemon laws. That can be much better leverage than contacting the BBB.

4. BryanEB

BryanEB Agent

5. Phillip Murphy

Phillip Murphy Auditioning

Thanks for the responses.

I did some digging today and found an Indiana Law, where the service center is, that holds the authorized service center responsible for fixing a defective electronic product within 45 days or they must a) replace it or b) pay three times the cost of the product.

Problem is enforcement.

I also talked with Yamaha and they said I could send it directly back to them and they would try and verify the problem and either fix it or replace it. Problem is, if I start shipping the thing around myself, it takes the responsibility out of the service center's hands. I don't want to do that.

The service center wants to send it to United Radio - AGAIN.

I just want the thing replaced at this point.

What would you do?

Thanks

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If Indiana has small claims court, I'd let the repair shop have one more go at it, and if they fail I'd collect on the warranty failure in court, if necessary. Otherwise I'd send it to Yamaha. Sending it to Yamaha is proably the best strategy to get it fixed or replaced. Gambling on the triple crown might let you get a bigger badder reciever in the end. If it was me, I'd just buy a new reciever regardless of which route I was going, proably. If and when I got the Yamaha back I'd sell it. I'd find a new dealer too. It doesn't sound like they went to bat for you. I'd definitely get a new brand of reciever too. Good luck on whatever you decide!

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Even though I have a new Denon and it works great! Don't get one. Get a Sony, Onkyo, and maybe Marantz, Kenwood, or Pioneer. If you buy another unit. Sony has always stood behind their products, even though its hard to find someone to talk to at times.
    quote from another thread=
    1. Denon was recently sold by Nippon Columbia to some "holding conglomerate"
    2. They've recently been promoting this hardline warranty stance
    3. They just ended relationships with the two dealers in Orlando that carry them (Absolute Sound, and Sound Advice- part of Tweeter) for reasons unknown to me
    end quote
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Phillip, I take it you have connected your front speakers to the rear terminals and confirmed that the static now appears on the fronts?