Advice on leads to go speakers -> Receiver -> Computer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deani, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Deani

Deani Extra

i have my speakers (wharfdale rb-27.not the best but they'll do) and im ordering the Pioneer 710 tonight
    Just need to know what leads i need for it all
    If anyone has any experience with Computer and linking up speakers and receivers to them id realllly appreciate some help!
    Cheers

2. Deani

Deani Extra

bump [​IMG]

3. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

I am running from my computer to an Onkyo TX-DS595, and on to some paradigm speakers.
    My computer has a Philips acoustic edge sound card, and I alternatly use the digital out for DVD passthrough and stereo sound, and the 5.1 channel outputs for surround sound gaming.
    There are some noise issues wich sources from inside a computer. And the digital out seems to 'skip' fairly often, when putting out stereo sound. But that is just a feature of my computer, maybe the sound card, maybe an IRQ conflict, I haven't taken the time to find out yet.
    As for leads, I am using fairly basic stuff, for the 5.1 chanel output, which comes out fo the soundcard in 3 1/8th inch stereo mini-jacks, I use a stereo minijack to RCA mono split for each output and then run stereo male-male RCA cord to the back of my reciver which has a multichanel input section.
    Hope this was some use. Unfortunently I won't be able to answer any questions about this for a few days as I am leaving on a short camping trip in a few min.
    Good luck.

4. ThucN

ThucN Agent

Well, I don't know what receiver and computer system you have, so I'll just describe what I did.
    I've set up my computer (Sound Blaster 5.1 card) to output only a "digital" signal. I let my receiver convert the digital signal to analog. I figure letting the receiver perform the D/A conversion is better than doing it inside the noisy computer environment.
    So whether I'm watching a DVD on my computer, listening to a CD, or some MP3s, the signal gets sent as a digital signal along the one connection I have to my receiver.