What's new

Advice on laying our new theater space (1 Viewer)

macman104

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh M
We've just bought our first home (yay!) and finally have the freedom to do with it as we please. I'm looking for some advice on how best to orient our space within a few constraints. I've had this projector in various rentals for a few years now and I'm looking forward to having it set up as best as we can now that we have more flexibility.

I've included as much in the way of measurements/detail as I can below (as well as some photos). The speakers and hardware found in the images were left behind from the sellers, we are not keeping any of it in this room.

We have a BenQ W1070, and a 7.1 receiver (currently only have a 5.1 setup, but hoping to pick up two more satellites for this down the road). We plan to ceiling-mount the projector of course. However, because of how we have to orient furniture we will need a screen because couches will be facing towards the fireplace.

Layout - couches (we currently have a smaller 3 person and some sectional pieces we can space around) will be facing towards the bottom of the image (towards the fireplace).
A9l4LmR.png

Looking towards the fireplace
U89GtKS.jpg

Looking out from the fireplace
bTrCQlm.jpg

There are more images here for reference too.

Looking for thoughts on any/all of the following
1. Distance the projector should be
2. Placement of speakers
3. Ideas/options for a screen to use (would love to mount it in the ceiling, but we'll have to see how much that will cost)
4. I had always intended to run the cabling through the wall/ceiling (or try if possible). I'm not sure how feasible that will be. Advice/thoughts on this are welcome too.

We plan on putting up some sort of fabric or something near the stairwell to block out the light from the rest of the house, as well as something for the large window and patio walkout too.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
We've just bought our first home (yay!) and finally have the freedom to do with it as we please. I'm looking for some advice on how best to orient our space within a few constraints. I've had this projector in various rentals for a few years now and I'm looking forward to having it set up as best as we can now that we have more flexibility.

I've included as much in the way of measurements/detail as I can below (as well as some photos). The speakers and hardware found in the images were left behind from the sellers, we are not keeping any of it in this room.

We have a BenQ W1070, and a 7.1 receiver (currently only have a 5.1 setup, but hoping to pick up two more satellites for this down the road). We plan to ceiling-mount the projector of course. However, because of how we have to orient furniture we will need a screen because couches will be facing towards the fireplace.

Layout - couches (we currently have a smaller 3 person and some sectional pieces we can space around) will be facing towards the bottom of the image (towards the fireplace).
A9l4LmR.png

Looking towards the fireplace
U89GtKS.jpg

Looking out from the fireplace
bTrCQlm.jpg

There are more images here for reference too.

Looking for thoughts on any/all of the following
1. Distance the projector should be
2. Placement of speakers
3. Ideas/options for a screen to use (would love to mount it in the ceiling, but we'll have to see how much that will cost)
4. I had always intended to run the cabling through the wall/ceiling (or try if possible). I'm not sure how feasible that will be. Advice/thoughts on this are welcome too.

We plan on putting up some sort of fabric or something near the stairwell to block out the light from the rest of the house, as well as something for the large window and patio walkout too.

1. As close as possible to the screen and still be able to fill the screen. There are calculators to be found online and will give you distances based on your projectors zoom abilities. Ive always just plugged it in, turned it on and walked the room to determine placement.
2. Floor or wall speakers?
3. Thats a big question. I like dalight high contrast, cheap and good performance.
4. Depends if you have an attic to do so. I prefer under the house, if you have a crawl space. I prefer to drill holes in my floor than ceiling and wires can be stapled and painted to easily blend if installing wall speakers and dont want to fish wires through walls (ive never bothered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurtlePen
Recent bookmarks