Advice on JBL Floor Standing 4 Way 200 Watt speakers!! PLZ Give opinion/advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Stanton, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

First, the exact speakers I am talkin about are these, but they are in black:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=15&scat=17
    Now, I am starting to put together my home theatre system, atleast for now I am piecing it together. I am thinking about a Dolby Digital Reciever w/6.1 and gettin all necessary speakers. Looking at the newer Pioneer 6.1 reciever w/the JBL NPS1 Package and one of the 12" Sony Subs (i forget the model number).
    But then today at work (i work at best buy) one of the guys workin there was telling me about these speakers I have in the url right here. He was telling me about those speakers. Now I am puttnig this all in my dorm room, and I am going to be hooking up my computer and dvd player to these speakers. And I want to be able to get good music playback from my computer and cd's. Which would you go for? The reciever, speaker, sub package ... or the 2 Big Floor standing JBL speakers. Keep in mind I get a discount at BB, and these JBL's are $850 a piece, but w/discount they are $850 for the pair. The discount on the reciever, speaker, and sub I am unsure of, but it will be good also. Please gimmie some advice. Thanks!
    -Drew

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

You're going to put those behemoths in your DORM room? They'll walk away for sure. Besides, they're huge (remember, the average dorm is the size of bedroom), very LOUD, and would cause issues with your RA.
    I think the Pioneer you are talking about is the VSX-D810S. That's not a bad receiver, but seeing that you work for Best Buy.....for the love of God, buy a Yamaha. Their amplifier sections are far superior to those of Pioneer's consumer line. Currently, there's an employee accomodation going on for the HTR-5280 model for $399.99. That is a SMOKING deal. It has a matrix 6.1 decoder compatible with DTS-ES and Dolby EX. Just look it up on TagWire.
    As for the speakers, I'd probably suggest just going with the JBL NSP-1 for now and adding a subwoofer to it. If you're on a budget, the Sony SA-WM40 is a good buy. I think the JBL subs sound a bit better, but more expensive. The N24 speakers in the package come with their own wall brackets, too.
    ------------------

3. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

Well I am not definitely gettin those speakers in that URL. Heh. I am either gettin those OR the other package deal I was talkin about. Which would be better if I wanted to hook up my tv/dvd and pc to it?
    -Drew

4. Nicholas A. Gallegos

I'm slowly progressing to a complete Studio Series setup. I almost went with the Northridges, which are fine but a little lacking in higher range.
    If you want a full DVD experience, you might as well go the 5.1-ch. route anyway. I think that the NSP-1 + sub would be a better all-around upgrade for your situation. And again, it won't use up near as much of your valuable dorm room real estate. This is my current setup, which is starting to sound REALLY good.....but it's not quite finished yet:
    Yamaha HTR-5280 receiver
    Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player
    Panasonic PV-9661 hifi VCR
    A really old Akai dual-well cassette deck
    General Instrument cable box w/AV outs
    Really old 12" Sears floor speakers (garbage......)
    JBL S-Center
    JBL N-24 (rears)
    Coming soon.........
    Sony SCD-CD775 SACD player
    JBL S312 floor speakers
    JBL S36 (to replace the existing rears)
    JBL PB10 subwoofer (plenty for my apartment)
    ------------------

5. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

Thanks for the info. But one main thing I am wondering about is my playback of my mp3's on my setup. I plan on hooking my PC to this setup. If I have the 5.1 w/the NSP1 and satellite speakers, I know that the MP3's will still be in 2 channel. If I had the Standalone JBL's, then I know the music would sound better. But will my music still sound good w/the NSP1 package and one of those JBL subs? I know I will have to set the sub to LFE+L/R if I want to take advantage of the sub when using mp3's, but how will the music sound compare w/the NSP1 to the Standalone speakers? See, I want it for music AND movies, but want to see which is better. If i got the standalones I can always add in center, rears, sub, etc. It's more a matter of money too.
    -Drew

6. Nicholas A. Gallegos

All of the new Yamaha receivers have a 5-ch. stereo mode, so that you can listen to music going through all 5 speakers. I think the Pioneer VSX-D810 also has a similar mode.
    ------------------