Advice on In-Ceiling Speakers please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve_Barrow, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Pretty much a newb here, but am looking for a decent set of in ceiling speakers for a reasonable cost. Use will be mainly music, Just to supply the kitchen and living room. so no video application for them. All were in fairly respectable shops so the amps and install I would have to assume were done reasonably well, at least as well as the room I'll be installing in. Exception being the bose that were in a display stand in a warehouse type environment.

So far have heard..

AudioTrac SPG-875S (heard speakercraft makes these?)
    Nice and cheap and actually found them with a pretty nice full sound.

Niles Directed soudfield 6.3 -
    Nice full sound and better low end it seemed than the above set

Speakercraft CRS-1 - Pretty similar to the AudioTrac but a lot more expensive.

Definitive Technology UIW/94a - These seemed kinda flat to me, but had the nicest low end of the bunch for sure, along with the biggest pricetag.

Bose VI 191 - Distorted as the volume went up, may have been the room, but wasn't impressed in general.

Can anyone recommend any of the above? Or better yet make me an alternate suggestion based on personal experience? The room will have tile directly below the speakers changing to carpet after about 5 feet. 9" Ceilings, 6 Large windows within 20", and the area is open and about 700Sq ft.

As a Bonus question...anyone know of a passive sub that goes in ceiling?

Thanks! I Really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

2. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

3. DanielG

DanielG Agent

I haven't recently listened to in-ceiling speakers but have been shopping for in-walls. For the price I don't think NHT can be beat. Granted I'm predisposed to their sound because I have VT and VS 2.4s as my HT setup, but I listened to maybe 7-8 brands in the $300-800 price range and at just under $300 delivered the NHT IW3s were as good as or better than the $600-800 speakers I listened to. I've purchased them for two applications already though they aren't installed yet so I can't yet verify their in home performance. I believe NHT makes in-ceiling speakers with models that are similar to the in-walls and so would absolutely recommend a listen.

4. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Thanks to all who replied. I have found Speakers, the Paradigm SA15R's.

Guess I'll know for sure once I get them installed next week./

once again thanks [​IMG]