advice on HT equipment setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by simi bains, Feb 6, 2002.

1. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

Hi,

I have HT equipment that is i suppose a few years old. My speakers are Bose Acoustimass 5 Series II and acoustimass 7 for the rear. My reciever is kind of old, it is a Denon AVC 2000.

Anyways, from the begining I haven't gotten as much bass as I want out of it.I really like bass, for music, and movies. But i can't seem to get much out of the speakers. They are crystal clear in terms of vocals.

Is it my reciever, or my speakers, or both?

Also, I noticed that the bass modules on my speakers branch out to my cube speakers. And then bass modules connect to speaker sets A and B on the reciever. there is no pre out. what does this mean? Arg. so confused.

I was wondering what should I do? I want a new reciever. I was looking at a Harmon Kardon AVR 120. Can someone give me some adivce on which way to go?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome Simi to the HTF. I am sure others will post their suggestions pretty soon. The first thing I would recommend you do is go to some HT stores and listen to some of the HT setups that they have. If there is a lack of bass, based on the equipment you have, I would first point to the speakers. But give yourself some idea on what's currently out there. Whatever you do, do your research, here on the HTF and in the retail world also. Let your ears be your guide and do not blindly accept what some salespeople will tell you about certain speakers and receivers.

3. PennyB

PennyB Auditioning

Hi, Simi
    Welcome to the HTF!

4. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Simi,
    Can you give us a dollar amount that you are looking to spend?
    From what you have said, I think your best bet would be to upgrade your speakers first. Look into Paradigm for a great sound at a reasonable price. If you are looking just for stereo sound, then you will need to pickup a pair of "mains" and I would recommend a seperate sub-woofer, preferably one that is powered (which means that it has its own amplifier built in). Having a sub-woofer means that the mains will not have to produce any bass and therefore can concentrate on delivering mids and highs. This will also mean less work for your receiver, since creating bass takes a lot of power, which will deliver more power to the mains.
    Again, if you can tell us how much you are looking to spend, we can all help out with suggestions.
    And welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi simi - welcome to htf!
    the guys already nailed it, so i'll just chime in my .02.
    a typical ht setup will be your receiver plus some sort of speaker package.
    speakers
    one thing to consider is what's called "timbre matching". that means all your speakers (typically from the same manufacturer/same models) will all have the same sonic characteristics. that'll ensure that the motorcycle in the left speaker won't sound like a moped when it gets to the center. almost all manufacturers will have a bunch of speakers from the same line just for this purpose.
    a satellite/subwoofer system is very popular these days. it works out well because the main speaker only have to handle the mid and hi frequencies. the subwoofer (which is a power "hog") will usually have it's own on-board amp to do all the work. plus the sat's don't take up as much space...very nice for the WAF (wife acceptance factor)!
    receivers
    right now the hot thing is dolby pro-logic2. i've not heard this yet, but they say this is really useful for two-channel stuff. the other common feature will be dd/dts decoding. it's two different sound formats...some like one over the other. choose a receive with lots of audio/video inputs. that'll allow more growth in the future.
    don't be too worried about the wattage rating. just remember that a good performing 75wpc receiver can outperform a crappy 100wpc receiver. think of better sound at low volumes. if you go with any of the major brands you can pretty much trust their wattage ratings. brands i like include (in no particular order): onkyo, outlaw, and denon.
    hope that helps some...
    oh yeah...ted's golden rule: if you like the way it sounds, then that's all that matters!

6. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

Hi, thanks for your input guys!

I want to spend about $500-600 CAD on the reciever, and probaby same for a new subwoofer if not less. Because I already have 2 small bass modules with my front and rear speaker sets.

Any suggestions on subs, and recievers for my application?

I like the vocal quality out of my acoustimass speakers so all I really want to do is upgrade to a subwoofer and reciever so I can have a better sound experience with my DVD's.

I don't really use my system FREQUENTLY, however when I do sit down, along with other people who decide to use it, I want a great experience.

Thanks!

7. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Simi,

In your price range for a reciever look at Denon and Outlaw. Prologic II maybe out of your price range, but I wouldn't worry about it at all for your setup. 6.1 may also be out of your range, but again, a good 5.1 system is 95% of the way there as so little software can take advantage of 6.1 setups.

The outlaw is ugly (my op), but very good sound. I have a Denon and love it.

For a sub, consider getting an unpowered SVS and using your old reciever to power it. As long as it is close to 100 watts per channel, it should work well for that purpose and you won't find a better sub for under a grand unless you make your own.

Longterm, I suggest selling those Bose speakers on Ebay and getting an Acoustic Reasearch or Energy Take 5 system. Even better, save for a Paradigm system. You would continue to use the SVS sub with any of those systems and get them without their subs. As you may know by now, Bose speakers are sold based on huge marketing $$ and not quality. For 1/2 the price of a Bose system, you can get twice the sound with just about any other company. Not to make you feel bad, but Bose is the most despised company discussed at HTF.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor