What's new

Advice on HD Reciever (1 Viewer)

BobbyMars

Auditioning
Hello,I'm new to this forum but not to HT.

I currently have DISH and a 60" Mits RPTV. I'm starting to get into the HD mode. From my limited research I have come to the conclusion that I should choose a HD READY set, from the cost standpoint. The answers/ideas that I would like to solicit from this group are:

If HD READY is the way to go...would it make sense to purchase, say a DISH 921 on e-bay?

Is there other HD/DVR receivers better than that mentioned above that could be used with DISH?

Should I stay with DISH programming or are most people doing other things? (Don’t have room for C-Band)

If I went the e-bay route with a DISH HD receiver, would the included SmartCard be a problem or would it just take a phone call to DISH and tell them I'm an existing customer that wants the receiver turned on and that I only want the DISH HD antenna installed?

Thanks for the info

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Bobby, I would not buy the 921. It is already discontinued, and the new 942 HD-PVR is in the works now. There is info. and pictures of it at Satelliteguys.us. Also Dish says the 942 will be delayed so they can get it to work with MPEG-4.
I have the 811 HD receiver with Dish and the picture quality is great. When the 811 first came out, it had a lot of minor problems. But mine works very well after software upgrades (over satellite). In fact, I lease a second 811 for my projector in basement. Dish is the best deal to get into HD, you can lease for $5.00 per month. Then when their Hd-PVR finally comes out, you can cancel lease without penalty and get the 942 if you want.

BobbyMars

Auditioning
Jim, Thanks so much for your reply....

Can you help figure out some answers to my other questions and concerns that I posted as well?

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I couldn't pass up a 921 for $399 w/ free shipping & no tax from dishdepot.com. It is a refurb with full warranty. I've had it for about 2 weeks. While it can be a little fussy, I'm extremely happy with it. It's very easy to record two channels, HD, etc. I also incorporated local channels with a channelmaster 4228 antenna, which works great.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Bobby, there are no other HD-PVR's you can use with Dish, not until the new 942 comes out. I think you can activate a Dish receiver if you bought it elsewhere, just make sure there is no outstanding balance on the receiver. Call Dish Network to make sure about this. I like Dish Network, but it depends if they have the programming you want. For instance, if you think you'll ever get the NFL package, you can only get that with Directv. I just wish Dish would add more HD channels, then I'll subscribe to their HD package again. There is a great website to learn more about ALL the satellite services, Satelliteguys.us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks