Advice on first speaker purchase in 10yrs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tracey.f, Mar 11, 2003.

1. tracey.f

tracey.f Auditioning

Make that 13yrs. Obviously a newbie here. I bought a Onkyo reciever and some Cerwin Vega AT-8 spkrs before I went to college and it lasted until now and was happy with the sound. Now(finally) I'm making the jump to HT! I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR600 and now, after reading lots of info on Axiom, ready to buy speakers.
    I liked the sound of my old CV's (highs were crisp and the bass seemed quick and tight), and I've read that some people think the Axiom M22ti's were a little harsh to listen to, and others say 'that's hogwash'. FYI, my favorites range from Allman Brothers, Clapton, and Grateful Dead to Dave Matthews, from Carole King to Sarah McLachlan, throw in some disco, some blues and a little jazz, NOT very much classical, and you have an idea what these speakers will be doing. Also,these will be the start of my HT system.
    So, my problem is I'm really leaning towards the Axiom lineup and don't know whether to try the M3's("more laid back sound") or the M22's("cleaner midrange") and living in the US can't hear them.
    Any 'sound' guidance would be appreciated.

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

It is very hard to recommend any speaker that you can't hear yourself. The first thing that has to be known is what is the budget. After that is established then brands & models can be suggested.

3. tracey.f

tracey.f Auditioning

I have 800 dollars to buy 5 spkrs. The rears I want will be Axiom QS4's as I hear they are great. So that leaves about 500 dollars to but two fronts and a center.

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Can you get just two speakers to start with, so if you don't like the Axioms you can minimize shipping charges?

5. tracey.f

tracey.f Auditioning

I am going to start off with the front two spkrs, and there in lies my main question. Does anybody have enough experience with the Axiom's to guide me towards EITHER the M3ti's or the M22ti's, considering what styles of music I usually listen to.

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Do a search here and at avsforum.com these come up regularly.