Advice on First Home Theater Setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Cas, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

This is my first HT setup(well, first "personal" setup-my parents had a Bose Acoustimass-15 running through a Pioneer VSXD608 reciever with a Sony 35'' TV and a Sony DVP-S550D DVD player-I guess I consider this an upgrade in some ways), and I was looking for opinions, suggestions, substitutes, etc. I already have the Video portion taken care of(Samsung TXM-3296HF 32'' HDTV, Toshiba SD5700+Bettercables Silverserpent Component), my inquiry mainly concerns the Audio portion. I was able to pick up a Kenwood VR-6060(http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4) last night for $360.00 at BB($499 reg price-$100 instant rebate-$40 coupon that came w/ Monsters INC. DVD) that seems to have all the modes, and inputs i want. They even threw in a KLH center channel and and 2 rears package for free($99 dollar value, but the speakers seem of low quality so ill probably just get rid of them). Good deal? I am considering(unless otherwise persuaded) pairing this reciever with either the JBL NSP1($279.00 at Costco)speaker package with a Sony SA-WM40( about $130 anywhere) sub OR a JBL Simply Cinema 135 System (JBL SCS135SI http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...e,Product_Name)that is about $300 shipped. What does everyone think? I bought my video equipment based on the advice I found here at the forums, and I am sure you guys will steer me in the right direction yet again. Thanks for all your help in advance!!

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Chuck the KLH and go with the JBL speakers, you'll have a much better sounding system.

3. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

Theres no question I'm chucking the KLH-crap. If I ger $25 dollars for them ill be happy. Which JBL's do you think are better? The NSp's with a seperate sub? or the JBL package(w/sub)? Thanks again.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The NSP1s are very solid speakers. I have them and am using the 4 N24s that came with the package as surrounds and back surrounds. I'm using N28s as mains. I would definatly recomend the NSP1 over the package with the sub.
    For the receiver, you may want to look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It has all the features of the Kenwood, gets great reviews around here for it's pricepoint, and can be had for around $300 online. It's only real downfall is (in some peoples opinion, not so much in mine) that 2ch music reproduction is a little thin. The Loudness feature strengthens the highs and lows and takes care of this in my opinion. Even with this, you're not going to find a better receiver for $300 ($360 at BB also i think).
    As for the sub, there's a refurbished JBL PSW-D112 12" 250 Watt sub available directly from the official jbl outlet, www.harmanaudio.com. This would be a very solid sub, and is another option, although the WM40 would be a good sub as well.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The NSP-1 package is $249+ free shipping from JandR.com.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I was going to get my NSP1 package from J&R w/ the free shipping, but i was able to get them from Tom Berg on the Hardware For Sale forum for $165 shipped used for 2 months. Great deal, and i lucked out on timing.

7. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

I cannot find the NSP-1 on jandr ANYWHERE anymore. What gives? Does anone know of other places with a good deal on this set? id like to order it asap!

8. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

You may want to call jandr to see if they have them in stock. There is an ad in the most recent soundandvision mag that has them for $229.99 and free shipping through the end of Octover. Also, etronics.com has them for less than $250 shipped and in stock. Later.

Jason

9. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

Any other suggestions for a good sub to pair with the NSP-1? J and R has the JBL PB-10 for 199.00 shipped. A little more expensive than the Sony, but I have heard nothing about it. How are JBL subs in general? Never had the opportunity to try one out. Thanks again.

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Kevin,
    I just upgraded to a somewhat similar system, here's what I suggest (IMHO):
    * Get the JBL NSP-1 package, it's the best all-in-one for the price that you will find. I went with one from the S class (I decided to go overboard a bit this time around), but the N speakers are just great for a good system.
    * The Sony SW40 sub is fine, I got one and added some poly-fill inside. It sounds like a $300-400 sub and only ran me $160 total.
    * www.harmonaudio.com is a good place to go, as someone suggested. Be aware that they also sell a lot of the same items you see listed on eBay for even cheaper. That's how I bought my 4 JBL S36AW speakers for $340 total. eBay isn't always the rip off you expect [​IMG]