What's new

Advice on DVD recorder (1 Viewer)

David Wyckoff

Auditioning
Sorry, but I'm a rookie here, but I've been reading various forums here for a while. I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere.
I'd love some advice. I want to get a DVD recorder. I have a Directv TIVO reciever and would be recording from that and possibly from some old VCR tapes. I am extremely confused by all the formats + and - which way to go? Is one gaining on the other in populatity? And which company is best? I don't think I need the hard drive as I'll be recording from TIVO. Should I wait until the double layered format comes out?
Are there any good buyer's guides on line with some kind of review?

Thanks for any help.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I read every magazine that did comparisons and the Panasonic E50 was the weapon of choice. I am quite happy with the quality. It is as easy as dubbing to a cassette deck. DVD-R seems to be the strongest format. The Panasonic also has DVD-Ram which is viewed as the least popular format. Did that affect my purchase? Nope. Re-writable discs are more expensive so I only use DVD-Ram disc to test whether a source can be copied or not. I buy brand name discs in jewel cases for less than $1.50 each (although I am sure you can get them for under a buck). Those who want to copy ANY tape or disc, get a PC with dvd burner.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I bought a Panasonic -R (simple reason - it was the only DVD recorder available in the UK at the time), but to be honest, I'd buy a Panny recorder anyway given their excellent track record in VHS recorders. So far my confidence has been justified - I've found it wonderful - *very* easy to use and excellent picture quality. I've recorded hundreds of hours from Sky+ (a system only available in the UK but very similar to Tivo) with no problems. I've over time made a few coasters, but all have been my fault rather than the mschine or the discs. The DVD-R is also very good for archiving VHS tape (I wasn't bothered about saving TV programmes or similar, but I did want to get videos of my kids onto a more permanent medium before the tapes disintegrated).

IMHO, you should stick with -R for the time being. I understand that the next generation of +R machines will be double layered and that the -R double layered version is some way off. But in all honesty, I'm not bothered about this. I suspect the early double layered blank discs are likely to be very expensive and I'd sooner some one else did the beta testing. Better to stick with a tried and tested format, especially now that -R discs are a sensible price and likely to drop further (think how the price of CD-R fell over time). Plus, take a look at which manufacturers are backing +R and -R. No contest, IMHO.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Is there a DVD+R/RW machine with a hard drive? I can't think of any offhand. Without a hard drive, the machine doesn't exist for me.

JeremyBurgess

Auditioning
Andrew and Rob:
Does the Panny record in Dolby Digital 5.1? My situation is similar to David's--only I'm with Dish network. The dish box will record something like 35 hours worth of video and it will reord in 5.1 (if the signal is received that way-for example from HBO). From the dish box I have an optical (for audio) and an s-video cable going into a Harmon Kardon AV 520. I was then wanting to go from the HK to a DVD recorder with s-video and optical and so keep the DD 5.1. Can do?

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Andrew is spot on with his analysis. Thanks for not spreading any false information. Whenever the whole + versus - discussion comes up invariably someone throws out misinformation.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks