What's new

advice on dual PE subs-worth it? (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
hello all..a quick question...I already own a PE sub & am seriously considering getting a 2nd, as my room (& wife :) ) have forced me to place it in a position at which the bass is actually noticeably "directional" i.e. I can definitely notice it coming from my left...the 2nd sub would go on the other side of the room behind the recliner if i get it...would this solve my problem somewhat (it really is my only choice sadly at the moment)? would 2 PE subs perform as well as a single sub in the higher quality / $ range? or am i just gaining volume & nothing more (keeping in mind volume is NOT paramount to me - yet :) )? getting rid of the "directionality" is my chief concern, but if I could get lower bass + more volume, that would "ice the cake"!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Typically localizing is the result of either the crossover being set too high, or the slope is not steep enough. Mine is set for 90Hz with 24dB slopes, and the localization is minimal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At the price of two of them, you could get a better, single sub. Localization is either a placement or calibration (including x-over as Wayne points out) issue.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
the price of 2 of them would only be about 250$...i havent seen anything that appears to be "next step" for anywhere under 5-600$, unless im looking in the wrong place...as for the localization problem, i am fairly new at this so i have not been able to do any rigorous sound testing, as I dont know how yet :) my crossover is set at 100hz, the lowest my modest Pioneer will go, sadly...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you get a second sub just for the sake of consistent localization, there’s a good chance you will be trading one problem for another. If it’s in a separate location from the first (as you indicate it will be) there’s a very good chance that your response will become much more ragged.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
thanks all for the responses...gives me a lot to think about...i am absolutely going to go the DIY direction when i get the $,because i just want to see what i can do so perhaps ill hold off on the 2nd PE sub...sadly, no sub is going to solve the problem of my bad room characteristics...hopefully one day we'll be moving to a bigger place (and better paying job ohpleasegodplease :) )
where i can have a more dedicated HT room or at least a living room w/ a better laid out area & a better wife acceptance factor (though i ust admit i have converted her to our side...the other day she said "god, i can't stand to watch or listen to regular tv's anymore..." hehe that's my girl...now if i can just convince her that buying my buddy's Klipsch speakers when he's ready to upgrade is a good idea ;)

Paul_Wright

Auditioning
Don't think you mentioned which amp you are using, but many of the PE plate amps have only a 12db per octave xo network which is not steep enough to prevent localization.

You can try dialing the xo to the lowest xo frequency...but best to switch to a higher order filter. Either an external xo or I've seen mods posted somewhere (?) on the net to mod the PE amps to 24db/octave. I think some of the newer PE amps include 24db xo plus parametric EQ which would also help reduce room interaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks