Advice On Dlp Projectors & Bose Speakers

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Augustine, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Augustine

Augustine Auditioning

I am in the process of creating my Home Theater and would like to use a DLP Projector instead of a TV. I Would like to have a 100 inch screen and would like any recommendation on a great DLP Projector that will have if not the same clarity like the new DLP TVs on HD signal?

I also would like to know if theres anyone who has connected the Lifestyle Bose speakers with a differnt AV Reciever that was not made by Bose. I have a Yamaha XRV1000 and wanted to know if I just bought the speakers from Bose, if the sound will be same like when the speakers are playing on the Bose console Reciever?

trebuchet MS

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Put the Bose on ebay and buy something better with the proceeds. The speakers might work with something else, but they will definitely sound like ass. There are lots of DLP projectors to choose from, I'm not that familiar with newer models.

3. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I'm glad Philip said something first... I didn't want to respond with something negative...

You will find that most people in the home theater arena have little to no respect for Bose. Very simply, they sell an inferior product, jack up the price, and market it like crazy. You can do so much better than those Bose speakers for a fraction of the cost.

DLP projector? Wish I could help you, but I'm a RP person, at least for the time being. I have a "loaner" Samsung HLP5663 (DLP) in my house right now while I am waiting for my Sony 60XS955 (LCD) to come in stock. I will tell you that both are very nice technologies, and I am suprised by how well the DLP Samsung has performed.

Good luck!

4. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

I have a freind that bought a bose system and I dont think it sounds any better than my AIWA 5.1 package that I bought 6 years ago, take a look at Paradigm, Polk, Klipsch, JBL, all are good brands, if I had the budget for my theater I Personally would be buying the Paradigm's but due to unforseen circumstances I am going to go with a Fluance system for now.......... Freinds dont let freinds by BOSE............. as far as Projectors go I would look at the Infocus SP4805, I plan on going with a 119" screen but was able to preview the 4805 on a 100" screen and it looked great and has a great price

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I affirm the criticisms of bose.

What is your pricerange for a projector?

6. Augustine

Augustine Auditioning

Thanks for all the comments and insights on both Bose and DLP Projectors.

I am glad you guyz shed some light to me in regards to Bose Systems. I was under the illusion that it was the best Home Theater system out there. Glad I will be able to save my money since I will not be buying Bose system which is darn expensive.

TRAVIS: How was the picture quality on the Infocus 4805? How close was the clarity compared to HDTV showing a HD signal?

Augustine

7. ToddKidder

ToddKidder Auditioning

Friends just don't let friends buy Bose. I really wanted to like them a few years ago as I did not want to "see" my speakers. There is just no way around the fact that they indeed do sound like SOUP cans. I practically gave them away. A quick side by side with just about anything will shed the light.

Glad u did not plunk down the cash for them. What is your budget?

LOL..... I actually wrote the above before I read Travi's post.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Augustine,

If you like the small size, slick appearance, easy set-up,and very easy usability of the Bose systems, I highly recommend that you check out the Sony Dream systems. They are exceptional and offer much more performance for much less dollars.

9. Augustine

Augustine Auditioning

My budget on the DLP Projector is $3000 although I will not mind spending a little more if I have to inorder to get a crisp clear picture quality while watching the game on HD. My main priority is the cinema like experience with excelent picture quality.

As for surround sound equipment, I am also looking for one with great sound quality. I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V995 reciever with Jensen 5.1 speakers and the sound is not that great. I am even forced to include my large JBL speakers inorder to achieve a good quality sound.

10. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

Why limit yourself to DLP? There are great 720P LCD projectors out there for a lot less money than DLP. Gives you more to spend on your speaker upgrade (buy a SVS sub)

11. Travis_R

Augustine, To me the picture was great, I dont think I would go as far to say it looked as good as an HDTV, I have a Mitsubishi 42" HDTV right now and its hard to get many if any projectors to compete with that, I will however say that without actually having the side by side comparison I was very impressed with the 4805, I previewed the scene from Indiana Jones and the Last crusade from them escaping the Zeppelin, The motorcycle chase, and then the ending in the caverns err temple or whatever you want to call it, all these had alot of different colors as well as light and dark scenes, we then watched some sports center to get an Idea of what a broadcast looks like Vs. DVD, again, I was very pleased with what I saw, Now I havent previewed all projectors but when you get up close to the screen you can start to see the pixelation and I assume most if not all projectors do this to a certain degree, just like if you get close to any tv even an HDTV you can see the pixels and lines, We were seated about 10-11 feet back from the screen and the pixelation started to show when you got to about 5 feet from the screen, but who wants to be that close anyway, If you have a budget of 3000 I would definitally look at all your options, but keep the 4805 in mind as IMHO it is an excellent bang for your buck....... Happy Turkey Day All

12. Stephane

Stephane Stunt Coordinator

Augustine, if I may... Do not buy Bose for speakers. I have owned the AM 5 sub sat system, the 301's and the 10.2's their flag ship model. All I can say id that a small pair of PSB ahpla speakers gave me more information then their Flag ship. Not as much bass mind you but a lot more detail.

Anyway, If I can recommend you listen to something equally as cool as the Bose. Try and find a Mirage dealer close to where you are located. The Nano Sats and the Omni sats are very small but what a sound stage. And as I mentioned, they are very unique looking as well. If you play Halo 2 and have the double disk set you can see all the gammers playing Halo and every one of the surrounds systems are from Mirage.

I am not saying that they are fro everyone, but if you like discrete, then this is a very nice set to consider.

One last thing, you can use your RXV 1000 receiver with them.

Stephane

13. Travis_R

is there an echo in here [​IMG]

14. Augustine

Augustine Auditioning

Thanks Stephane. I am going to check out the Nano Sats and the Omni Sats. I hope their price is much more reasonable than the over priced Bose. I am also glad that I can use them with my AV Reciever.