What's new

Advice on curtains for HT (1 Viewer)

Steve U

Grip
Hiya folks. I was hoping someone could help me with this. Halfway through construction of a 14' x 12' dedicated home theater, and I'm looking to run a curtain across the back wall. Back wall is 7+' long, which leaves about 4+' open to a 9' x 4.5' "lobby", which leads to the door out.
| |
| seats |
|_______ |
| |
|lob|
|___|
I want to run the curtain across the entire back wall to deaden sound reflection, and keep it going across the entrance to separate the lobby. What material should I use? SHould I head to KMart and buy a bunch of matching curtains and string them up next to each other, or bulk fabric (what type?) to cover the distance? My wife suggested using a comforter, but I think the stitching patterns would look ridiculous. Need a solid color.
Anyone do this in their setup? Suggestions please...I'm getting close to decision time...

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I picked some nice and thick curtains at J.C Penney. It took about a week to get them in but they are very nice and they were right around a $100 including the rod assy.
Givem a look before you buy the Wal-Mart specials.
Greg

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Velvet with a thick cotton lining and lead weighted bottoms is what used to be used in theaters, so however close you can come to this is desireable.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

ChrisA

Second Unit
Love this thread!
Unfortunately, I am not able to afford Black Velevet to cover all 4 walls and the ceiling at this time. What I did 2 years ago was get the darkest black fabric from the fabric store and sew 4 inch hems and 2 inch rod pockets.. very beautiful, and affordable: nothing like reference level black... I used the same black material and covered the ceiling...
Chris

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
I had seen on another topic that a member used shades by Hunter-Douglas. They can be found at JC Penny's. I was just checking out their web site and they have a 25% sale on some of their shades, but not sure if these include the Hunter-Douglas ones. Looks like you can get them in black, but also other colors that might be more accepted by a SO.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Neither thin curtains nor blinds make for adequate sound absorption needed to block off a portion of a room/damp a wall, plus blinds rattle too much IMO at high SPL LF.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Jeremy H

Auditioning
I also ordered heavy satin curtains for front and back walls, 24' total for less than 200.00 from JCPenney. However the curtains are lined in white which will be visible. Fabric store material was rather expensive in my area at about 20.00 per yard. I also made acoustic paneling for the walls to successfully control unwanted reflections. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks