What's new

Advice on Cheap used Projector for DVD (1 Viewer)

SteveMass

Auditioning
Hi all. I would appreciate any advice you could give me on specific models of projectors for a dedicated DVD projector. I have a finished basement so I can eliminate ambient light completely. I want to buy a used projector that will give me a good DVD image. I like a good picture but I am not a videophile. I will mainly be using the projector to view DVDs with the kids and occasionally a small group of friends. I have a computer with a DVD drive that I will be using to feed the projector with a SVGA cable so I don't need a dedicated HT projector.

I know that the Infocus X1 can be had for under $1000 and I have seen the X1 on ebay used for around $800. Are there any other projectors that would be servicable for DVD projection that I might be able to find for under $500? Maybe some older models that still have decent specs and picture?

Any suggestions are appreciated. If you can't already tell I'm cheap... :)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think as far as digital projectors go your not going to find anything cheaper than the x1 or some of the benq models that still produces an acceptable picture.

For 500 you might be able to buy an older used crt. I know nothing about crts so somebody else will have to reply or you can do a search here. I know the avsforum is a great resource too. CRTs and digital's each have their own forum and there are plenty of posts from very knowledgeable individuals.

SteveMass

Auditioning
Thanks for the information on CRTs. I am not sure if I want to go in that direction - I have been researching DLP and LCD projectors. Being a "frugal" (read: cheap) person I always want to make sure I am making a cost effective purchasing decision.

As a non-videophile I was under the impression that I might be able to get a decent picture with a used LCD projector that was originally designed for presentations. I guess this may be naive of me to assume. I have no need for svideo or component video inputs and will be using a computer to send the signal to the projector via a standard vga cable. Also - this will not be my main viewing TV and will only be used for the ocassional DVD movie (a few times per month).

Are there any LCD projectors that may be a few years old model wise - that would be able to be used for DVD projection - or should I just pony up the dough and get an Infocus X1, 4800, or 4805?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
As far as LCD goes, I know a lot of people have been happy with the sanyo z1, which i believe goes for around the same as an x1, maybe less. As far as cheaper used lcd, its probably out there, but you definetly want to try before you buy. You can check out projectorcentral.com they have reviews for many models.

One danger of used projectors is the number of hours already on the bulb. An LCD projector you buy used for 400, might already have more hours on its bulb then it was intended for, and to replace it is going to cost you another 200-400.

If you are really set on under 500 I think you are probably better advised going crt. You might get an acceptable picture out of a bargain basement lcd, but it will just wet your appetite for something better.

If there is a current rebate deal for the x1, you might be able to get it for around 800. Plus supposedly the x2 is comming out, which was supposed to be available for less then the x1, by getting rid of the fauridja chip, which is redundant if your feeding it progressive scan dvd.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The X1 $100 rebate was extended AFAIK. Should be able to get a deal on it for under $800. A used CRT projector would probably be even better than a digital if you have the room and expertise to mount it (they're heavy and bulky).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Steve, if you have the gumption and the proper space, a USED CRT will easily throw a superior picture to any new digital, let alone generations-old used digitals. I would probably scratch used digital off the list unless you get a *really* good deal, I would go for a new one, or a used CRT. CRTs have been the pinnacle in video display, and still are, while digitals have been improving rapidly (and, IMO, are almost getting there in the very very high end). Used digitals rapidly go out of date as improvements are added in newer models, etc. CRTs are pretty much the same for the last 10 years, and they are an insane bargain used.

SteveMass

Auditioning
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am convinced that ChrisWiggles is right. For me a used CRT or a new DLP based projector would make the most sense. I like new technology and that, along with their compact size and ease of mounting compared to CRTs, is what is attracting me to the DLP projectors.

It seems that the Infocus X1 can be had new at Dell for 899 less the $100 rebate - that would be 799 delivered. Sams Club has a demo model of the 4800 (same machine as the X1). What I think I will do is go to Sams and take a close look at the picture - I am a bit worried about the "rainbows" - and if I had more money budgeted I think I would jump on the 4805 bandwagon. The $500-700 price difference is pretty steep and I can always upgrade a year down the line when the price drops....I will let you all know when I make my decision and give you some feedback on my experiences.

Thanks again everyone :)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I was going to return my X1 to Circuit City (since I see rainbows in white/black scenes), and get a 4805 when it came out (this was back in late Feb), but I couldn't give it up. I was going to ebay it an upgrade, but I've decided to wait for the time being. What rainbows I do see I have mostly normalized to.

I checked Dell's return policy when I was price shopping. If you buy via the Dell Home area the return policy is pretty good. If you buy via Dell Small Business (because of coupons, etc), there's a 15% restock fee - beware.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I caught a post on Fatwallet for a deal on the BenQ PB6200.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/334024/

$1180 after rebate. Or $1216 from buy.com. Higher rez - 1024x768 - XGA

3x wheel

Higher rez than the X1/4805, but it has a slower wheel than the 4805 (3x) and an inferior deinterlacing/scaling chip.

You'd have to invest in a good progressive DVD player (esp with an upscaling player like the Zenith 318, etc) since the scaler isn't as good as the Infocus units.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks