advice on cable runs.................

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Aug 21, 2001.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible to run cable from attic down through an exterior wall? If so, can you offer some advice on how to do it?

2. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

What do you mean? I am picturing a hole in the ceiling by a wall and cable tacked down it. Why would you want to do it like that rather than fish it through the wall and install a wall plate at the bottom?

3. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

James, running it down through the inside of the wall is what I want to do. I've done it many times in the past with cable and speaker wires through interior walls, but never down through an exterior wall filled with insulation. Won't this make it really difficult or damn near impossible?

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Insulation does make it more challenging.
    If the paper is intact on the front of the insulation, the job will be easier. The best way I know is to get some flexible fiberglass fish rods (not fishING rods, but rods that are designed to do what you're trying to do).
    These are usually about 6' in length, and are stackable. The lead rod should have a ball of some sort on the end (so as to keep the thin rod from puncturing insulation paper). Get a few of these rods from a hardware store or electrical supply company, tape the cable firmly just behind the lead ball, and carefully work the rod between the insulation paper and the wallboard. This takes patience and practice.
    Good luck.
    -Scott

5. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Scott! It looks like I've got a nice project for this weekend. [​IMG]

6. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

OH, duh!! I see what you mean, Kevin. That's exactly what I used to do, Scott. Good advice.