Advice on buying printer/scanner/copier/fax combo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Silverman, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hi gang,
    Lately I've been eyeing these 4-in-1 combo machines--they're real tempting. I've seen some HP, Lexmark, and Canon units. Does anyone have one, and can you comment on it? Anything to avoid or look for?
    I have a regular B&W laser for high-quality stuff, but I'd like to have a color printer and a scanner, and it'd be nice to save desk space and get a copier too. [​IMG]

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've seen two in use. My impression is that they're like eating at a buffet. You get all sorts of options but none of it's as good as buying a single-purpose solution. They seem to be an interesting tradeoff: a lot of functionality in a compact package but you sacrifice some of the performance you'd get going with the best-of option for each category.

My very limited experience suggests these are good reasons are get one:
    - office space is too limited to buy individual units for all functions.
    - connections are very limited. You've maxed out your USB ports and/or your AC ports or just don't want the mess of wires that would come from several peripherals over one.
    - You'd rather use a single machine for faxing, copying, etc. than bother with the minor juggling to fax with a scanner talking to your modem, or copy with the scanner talking to your printer.

The tradeoffs, as I mentioned, is that you'll likely not get the same print or scan quality you'd get if you shopped for a separate printer and scanner.

Hope this helps.

3. Vanessa

Vanessa Stunt Coordinator

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks for the tips! That's good to know about the HP printers.
    I have a B&W laser for when I need quality--space is at a premium. [​IMG]

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I had one for a while and it didn't work very well. It was a Xerox. Now I have a Lexmark photo printer which works very good for B & W and good for photos. For faxing, copying or scanning I go to my father-in-laws since I do any of those much.