advice on buying a DVD drive for my PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Feb 6, 2003.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I'm looking to buy my first DVD drive for my PC (for viewing on a 19 inch PC monitor) and need some very basic advice. I want to try to find a decent quality - but relatively cheap - drive. How much should I expect to spend? What should I look for? All responses greatly appreciated!

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Other people may say different, but if you are only looking at using it for DVD playback and have a quicker CD-rom I'd say get ANY brand name drive you can find cheaply.

I paid $50 canadian for a drive and it works perfectly.

Brent

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

People like Lite-Ons and they're quite hackable to boot.

4. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I hear alot about the Pioneer 106 and 116 (Think those are the right model numbers). You can set them to be at 1x for DVD watching, it keeps them almost silent. Aslo check out the toshiba 1612 and 1712.
    -Svence

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I own a Pioneer Slot Load 106s and it has been a great drive. No problems and it plays DVD's like a charm.

KyleS

6. James Zos

Thanks for all your responses!

7. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

How is the Audio Ripping speed on those Pioneer drives. I am also looking for a new DVD drive but will also be using it for copying cd's. Thanks.
    -svence

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I have the slot-load Pioneer DVD drive (can't remember if it's the 106 or 116) and it's great for ripping. Faster than my TDK CD/RW at least.

9. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I'll put in another vote for the Pioneer drives. I got mine for 30 bucks off pricewatch and have had zero problems with it.

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Another vote for the Toshiba 1612.

I passed on the Pioneer because of the slot-loading. This type of drive does not accommodate 3-inch CDs or DVDs. I only have one 3-inch DVD (and many CDs) but there may be more released in the future.

The Toshiba automatically plays DVD-movie discs at 2x which is very quiet. Makes the fans in my PC sound like a wind tunnel by comparison. [​IMG] Both the Pioneer and Toshiba drives have region-free firmware available, but I am using DVD Region-Free which does not require flashing of the firmware. (too scary!)

EDIT: Another nice thing about this software is that it disables USER PROHIBITION i.e. your inability to skip menus, FBI warnings, switch soundtracks on the fly, etc.

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

12. James Zos

Thanks for the additional responses everyone! Most helpful.

Chuck - from which site did you order your Pioneer drive?

13. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Hey James

I got my drive from nexthardwareshop.com after looking on pricewatch. It came pretty quickly so I would recommend them. I got the M500 drive which is a tray loader. One thing to note is that I bought the OEM version which is just the bare drive and no software. I don't even think it came with a cd audio cable, not that I needed one for the dvd drive.

I auditioned the various software dvd programs and chose powerDVD because I liked it's interface a little better than WinDVD. I don't know if OEM is the route you wanna take or not but I didn't have any regrets about going that route over buying the retail version. Sure you probably get the software player and some kind of longer warranty but with how cheap these drives are these days it just seemed kinda like a waste. Anyway, good luck with whichever drive you get [​IMG]