Advice on budget setup.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EmanuelG, Jun 27, 2004.

1. EmanuelG

EmanuelG Auditioning

Hi, been a long time lurker and finally have money to begin my journey into home theater since i am a broak student. Well i have a budget of $400 to spend on a 5.0/2.0 system, so before i begine here is some info:
    My basement room is 11x16 with carpet and low ceilings , so it kinda small. Going to purchase a h/k avr325, so im set there. I have have a cheap panasonic sub to last for a bit too.
    Well for the 5.0 ill get the athena point5 mkII package for 299 with free shipping. The athenas as i read require time for break in before you hear them at their best and are more of a brighter sound(hence i choose a warm reciever). With the $100 left i'll spend on stands for the rears. If i go for 2.0 i'll get the ascend acoustics cbm-170. This system will be used with an x-box for dvds,games and music.

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

$400 is just for speakers (and stands if necessary)?

If i were you, and i could do it all over again, id go 2.0 now and buy some nice mains...

Since you mentioned you like athena..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

on sale right now for around $375 a pair and they have free shipping. Save up and add the center and surrounds later.

(wish i went this route)

3. EmanuelG

EmanuelG Auditioning

I decided on the cbm-170 as i know, i will get upgradtidus from the athenas. Thanks for your post jimi, as it help solidify my decision, I kinda came on the thread wrong including a 5.0 system as i can afford to buy stuff in a couple of weeks, just anxious. Thanks.

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I know the feeling... i wish i would have saved more before my last speaker purchase. Oh well.. a few years and ill do it all over again. [​IMG]

5. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

yeah after looking at what I got...I think I would rather have gone 2.0 and then added to it. Sure you don't have surround sound right away...but you get a lot better speakers in the end