What's new

Advice on bookshelf speakers (1 Viewer)

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I need some small, cheap speakers for my kitchen, operating as my "B" speakers so I can listen to music while I cook, brew beer, etc. without blasting my mains. I'd have to turn my mains up too loud to hear them well in the kitchen--plus, I want to hear music in stereo, not some 'bounced around the corner and down the hall' sound.

So, what's a decent set for about $100-$200? I'd like them to deliver a little bit of bass, because--if I'm not mistaken--my sub doesn't engage for the B set of speakers (and it's in another room anyway). Can I get anything good in this range? I've never shopped for speakers; everything I have was given to me by family after they upgraded.

Thanks for the help!

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

The Paradigm Atoms come to mind as the perfect fit for your needs (IMO). They are are in your price range, but do not sound cheap at all. Unlike some small satellite speakers, they are relatively full range. I reccomend you do a search on this forum for the Atoms. I think you will be surprised of the following the get.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Atoms/Titan would be awesome. My friend was looking at them and I got a chance to spend some quality time with them. IMHO they are awesome for the money. Far better than the Klipsch, Athena and a few others I've heard. The Titan was $30 more and had more bass. I would step up to the Titan.

MikeNg

Second Unit
I don't know how big your kitchen is or if this is an option, but it'll be nice to ceiling mount a dual voice coil speaker (two pivot tweeters) instead of some sat's. I'm doing that in my kitchen which solves the issue you brought up (I don't want to have to blast the stereo in the family room), plus the visual integration is seemless (the form factor looks like the recessed lights).

You can still get stereo(ish) from a single enclosure, plus the added benefit of additional low end extension from being in-ceiling mounted.

Sounds like you've made up your mind though. Hope it works out for you.

Mike

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I've looked at Atoms and Titans, and they seem like they fit my needs. However, I'm concerned about damaging them with excessive moisture. When I brew beer, condensation forms everywhere, even on the ceiling, due to a 5 gallon boil for an hour. Will this hurt the speakers?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you are that concerned, then why not get some indoor/outdoor speakers that are used to that type of environment. Paradigm makes them, Boston makes a good set(voyager), and I know Russound makes a good set.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
NORTHRIDGE E SERIES - N24AWII
2-way, 4" bookshelf weather-resistant loudspeaker with high-impact molded enclosure
Dimensions (H x W x D): 9-1/2" x 6-1/4" x 4-3/4"

Read the Jul/Aug 2000 Sound & Vision Outdoor Speaker Review - by Tom Nousaine JBL N24AW HERE!

The JBL N-24AWM2 Northridge Series All Weather 4" 2-Way 100-Watts Bookshelf Speaker - Pair is Approx. $114.95 w/FREE SH @ B&H Photo -Video (email them for the latest price)

=========

If you've got the room, go for the larger version (larger = more bass)...

NORTHRIDGE E SERIES - N26AWII
2-way, 6" bookshelf weather-resistant loudspeaker with high-impact molded enclosure.
Dimensions (H x W x D): 14-1/2" x 10-3/4" x 7-3/4"

JBL N26 AW II 2-Way 6" All-Weather Speaker - Pair is Approx. $145.34 @ Amazon w/FREE SH (Only 4 left in stock--order soon.)

Have fun deciding,
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks