Advice on best receiver with $1500 budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Sherman, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Alan Sherman

Alan Sherman Auditioning

Hello,

Anyone have some ideas on what receiver I should get with a $1500 budget?

I would like the following features if possible

DPLII

DTS Discrete, Neo, Matrix

front a/v inputs

at least 75 watts into 5 channels

learning remote

If at all possible get the:

THX EX Surround

THX Select

Thanks for the help.

-Alan

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I would highly recommend the Onkyo 898. It has everything you mentioned including front inputs under a cool flip-down front door. The sound in stereo and surround are awesome, and it has 7 channels of WRAT power(110x7 8ohms 20-20,000hz). It also has a great remote, and clean looks, its a great buy. MSRP is $1500 but you can get it for less if you look around.

3. Alan Sherman

Alan Sherman Auditioning

Oh I forgot to add that I'll be driving the Acoustic Research HC-6 speaker setup. If that helps...[​IMG]

4. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
  6. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Definitely save your money and check out the models mentioned.

7. Alan Sherman

Alan Sherman Auditioning

Thanks for the help. Let me explain the method to my madness. I have the budget now and only now so spend the most on the receiver and get cheap speakers figuring to upgrade the speakers later but keep the receiver a long time. My final speaker setup will be M&K S-5000 system. My total budget for speakers and receiver is $2000 so I figure get a cheap $500 set of speakers and blow the rest on a real nice receiver.

Oh btw, keep the suggestions coming. I really like the Onkyo 898 but with the DD problems with audio dropouts it's kindof lower on the list.

Thanks.

-Alan

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

How about a Marantz SR8200? I believe MSRP is $1700 but if you're willing to risk buying over the net you can pick one up for ~$1200.

9. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Alan:

I think you have it backwards. Speakers last a long time, but receivers become dated faster because new features are introduced all the time. Also, loudspeakers contribute more sonic quality to the overall system, particularly in the price range that you are in. Every dollar spent on speakers in that range will give you major sonic return. I suggest a receiver in $600-$800 range and up your speaker budget by $700-$900. You will get a much better sounding system that way. And you can trade your receiver up to a more current/better model in a year or two. Incidentally, a receiver like the 3802 does everything but slice your bread. It is as future proof as they come.

10. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Not many (if any) receivers come with a 5 year warranty, lots of speakers do. Makes you kind of go hmmmm. Doesn't it?

11. Alan Sherman

Alan Sherman Auditioning

Again thanks for all the help. Let me see if I understand. The recommendation is to invest in the high end speakers and get a medium priced receiver. I definitely agree that speakers are where it's at and definitely don't degrade over the years. Here's my dilema:
    I purchased two M&K S-5000 speakers in 1998 and have been able to get enough budget to complete the 5.1 system by getting another S-5000($1398 list) for the center and getting the S-550($1799 pair) for surrounds. I'm sick of using my TV's DPL to listen to movies with it's wimpy center channel and rear surrounds. So I figure put the M&Ks in storage and buy a cheap speaker set for 5.1 and invest in a nice receiver with the ultimate goal of using it as pre-amp in future when my wife lets me have more money. [​IMG] I really like the Denon 3802 but the lack of front A/V inputs has me looking elsewhere. I'm thinking the Marantz SR8200 but it's lacking of speaker adjustments per mode is a concern if I want to use it as a pre-amp in the future. The Sherwood Newcastle R-963 seems to be another option but it's price is too high at $1999.
    Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming...
    -Alan

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You could always go the route of seperates and buy the Outlaw 950 and then look for a used budget 5 channel amp like the HK 5800 that you should be able to find for $300 or so.

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Yamaha RX-V2200!!!! I just bought one for $1200. I am happy as can be with this receiver.

14. Joris R

Joris R Auditioning

You probably could get the Sherwood Newcastle R963 for much less than listprice. I remember someone saying they could get it for $1350,-.

Newcastle products come with a three year warranty even when bought through unauthorized resellers. (this used to be the case anyway).

If your budget is $1500 that would just fit in.

15. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Joris, where can i get the R963 for $1,350. If I can find that price, I'm buying. Thanks

16. Joris R

Joris R Auditioning

I don't know where you can get it for that price. I live in Europe and I can get it for around $900,- .
    However when i asked a question on the avsforum someone mentioned that he could get it for $1395,- (not 1350 that was my mistake).
    If you follow this link, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=97811 , you can find this guy(bioforce) and sent him a pm to ask him where he could get it from.
    The R963 should be very good, I've read in the Outlaw 950 beta testing thread that the DSP that is used in the Outlaw 950 is generally considered to be the best DSP concerning sound quality available at the moment. And this is the same Cirrus DSP that is the center of the SN R963 (CS49326).
    You can read that here, a post from Robert A Fowkes and John Morris (search the page for 49326, and you'll find the post I'm referring to, Morris'post is the one below this one)
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&pagenumber=14

17. Jacy Legault

Jacy Legault Auditioning

Speakers are your rock

A good multichannel amplifier is also a rock

Receivers are about to enter the PC era.