Advice on an open box plasma?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott_lb, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Yesterday I came across an open box LG DU42PX12X (LG 42" plasma) at a Circuit City for $1,750.00. My uncle has the exact same model and I like it quite a bit. The tv is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. However, after doing some thinking, I'm thinking about canceling my order. What scares me is that this unit is an open box and no one at the store had any idea of the tv's background. I don't mind so much if the unit was purchased and returned shortly thereafter but I do mind if the unit was the floor model which has been running everday all day for well over a year (this is a discontinued model). This may be the case as this was the only model unit in the entire store.

LG plasmas have a 2 year parts and labor warranty and I have the option of buying a 3 year warranty for roughlyu $300.00. Purchasing that warranty would put the tv at roughly $2,150 with a five year warranty. The other option would be to cancel the order and purchase a larger non-plasma unit new (I've had my eye on a 50" Sony or a 46" Toshiba). My end goal is to have a moderate size HD unit which can run my Xbox 360, HD cable, and (eventually) Blu-ray.

Your thoughts are appreicated. If I do choose to cancel my order I must do so later this afternoon/early evening.

2. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

I have purchased two open box items from CC in the past and have had ZERO problems with them. Knock on wood! Granted it was computer speakers and a combo DVD/VHS unit but neither of them has had a hiccup. Your purchase is different though and the thought of a plasma running for a year + does merit some thought. If you have that second thought maybe you should follow that gut feeling and purchase a TV with a better known history.

Also a bigger screen is enough reason to reconsider..right?

Just my .02

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Just check for burn in ... 4:3 bars ... on the sides ...

Other than that ... okay set ... but turn that XD engine thing off ... too much Edge enhancement there ...

Regards

4. Scott_lb

Thanks guys. I did check for 4x3 burn in and did not see any (although my uncle's does have burn in despite my multiple discussions on how to avoid it). I will most likely end up canceling my order anyway. I currently have a 40" widescreen Toshiba Cinemaseries standard definition set. The only problem is that the convergence on the right side of the screen (about 20% of the screen - right side) is very off. Unfortunately, the tv only has single point convergence which cannot fix this problem. I don't know how much it would cost to have this fixed. Moreover, I might prefer to put that money (if upwards of $200.00) toward a new set instead.

I'll to make my decision soon!

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I wouldn't do it. To me, that's a lot money, and I think for a plasma there's just too much chance of abuse where the effects might not show up until later.

Some things I don't mind buying used: amps namely, but I wouldn't take a chance on a plasma.

Just for info: is it ED or HD, and what's the discount off of list and typical street price? (Oh yeah, plus, I've haven't heard lots of good things about LG plasmas. You might want to take a look at Panasonic.)

6. Scott_lb

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up cancelling my order last night. While the price was competive (you can typically find them new at CC for around $2,300), I didn't want to have to worry "Gee, I wonder what happened to this unit before I got it." I realize that the warranty would cover most issues, but I don't have the time to worry about stuff like that. Plus, what I'd really like is a Sony SXRD model. I realize that, right now, the 50" model is almost double what this unit would have cost me. However, I am not against waiting until the price drops on those somewhat.

In related news, I saw my first HD DVD player up and running last night at a Magnolia on a 71" Mits DLP. Looked fantastic!