What's new

Advice on a Yamaha htr-5550 (1 Viewer)

GabeR

Agent
hello all

I am going to get a yamaha htr-5550 and wanted to know
what kind of front speakers you recommend?
I will just get a normal center channel and wanted to get 2 front towers because I have a friend with towers that sounds really good
anyway...I guess im asking what kind of speakers go best with yamaha receivers and does it produce warm or bright sound...or does it depend on the speakers I go with?
thanks

ps. I watch dvds mostly so thats why I want 5.1 surround..

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I bought a 5550 for my daughter with a set of Dahlquist speakers, but there are a lot of speakers out there. Where do you live and how many stereo/home theater stores are within driving distance? What is your price limit?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Gabe, you need to specify things such as budget and room size as well as preferences (will these be integrated with a sub, 5.1/6.1/7.1 of speakers, bright/warm preference, music selection rock/classical/rap/country etc) as the presentation of your question leaves too many open ends to answer with brief responses.

GabeR

Agent
Best buy, circuit city etc etc
My room is 15x15 about and a 27 inch tv
I watch dvds mainly...and want to get a 5.1 setup eventually...like a subwoofer/ 2 front speakers to begin with..
I can only afford the reciever right now though and
I have some old 3 way speakers that will work in the time being.
But I just need advice on whether yamaha is a good receiver,
and Im not really sure if I like bright or warm yet I havent heard both in succession
thanks again

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I have had Yamaha and Denon receivers and have not had any reliability problems with either. My ex has my old yamaha 795 and it runs fine after 5 years. Yamaha may have a past reputation for being bright, but that is quite subjective and current opinions say it has mellowed out some. Your choice of speakers will probably have more to do with "brightness" than the receiver. If you like movies, Yamaha has a lot of options for settings for movies that you may enjoy experimenting with. If you are mainly shopping at mainstream stores you may want to watch out for sales of the JBL Studio series speakers. They have a powerful tower that may fit your needs. If you're on a budget, you may want to look at inexpensive internet packages such as www.hometheaterdirect.com.

GabeR

Agent
I plan on getting some towers first and a main speaker as my budget increases
Receiver-300. speakers...only 200 bucks right now
I want a good setup so Im doing it piece by piece and enjoy techno/rock music but like I said Ill be mostly watching action movies...etc
Also how do you know if a reciever has too much power for speakers or too little...
thanks

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Gabe, your receiver is gonna be fine with mainstream speakers in your price range. Don't worry about it. Did you look at the Home Theater Direct speakers? You might also do a search for Fluance speakers, also internet budget speakers.

GabeR

Agent
I checked out the HTD ones but Id want to get a better sub and so on...I already have 2 main speakers that are older
I think ill end up mixing and matching speakers
in the end cuz I want to get some good quality towers first
I just want the best sound quality and it all starts with the reciever...yea?
Its about time I get to hear private ryan in 5.1

GabeR

Agent
ok the salesman was trying to sell me the rxv model yamahas and said the htr line has bad circuitry and wont last as long.
any input is this is true?

Bordeaux

Auditioning
I have a Yamaha rxv2095 for about 3-4-years. I had m&k speakers which were 4ohm and now I have b&w cdm9's. Anyway, I have never had a problem with my unit and play music quite loud in all 5 channels.I think this is a good product and will be using it as a pre/pro along with an external 5 channel amp until I can buy a dedicated pre/pro. Be sure that you match your front three speakers with the same product

Cyrus_I

Stunt Coordinator
I have the RX-V530 and am extrememly impressed with it. I have it set up with four 5" bookeshelves and a center and 10" sub, all Pro-Linear. I mostly listen to rock music but have tested it out with rap and even classical and I'm listening to Dave Matthews right now. This reciever can play all types of music wonderfully. I especially like the Yamaha controller, it feels really solid and is easy to use. The Yamaha has tons of options for home theater so you don't need to worry about that. I also have been looking at Denon but just ended up sticking with the trusty Yamaha name. I didn't notice much of a difference in sound between the two, especially with my speakers (not the best). I felt no need to upgrade to the 630 for 6.1 surround, but maybe you should look at the differences between the two. Good Luck.

Cheers

GabeR

Agent
hmm...yes I was looking at the RX-V530 and its only a 10-15 dollar difference between the HTR 5550 and the RX-V530.
I read some posts and poeple say they are the same...yet this salesman was giving me the old...THE HTR line is horrible and a lower model series that isnt as good as the RX line....

Cyrus_I

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard they're exactly the same just modelled differently for different suppliers. The manager at a&b sound showed me a comparison chart direct from Yamaha comparing the two. There were no differences apart from the color of the writing. I guess it just comes down to which you prefer gold or silver?

So have you decided on the RX-V530?

GabeR

Agent
RX-V530 yes I will get this one or the htr-5550..only a 10 dollar difference
I just want to decide on some speaker towers first and then get the receiver also...then later a subwoofer and so on.
I will probably get some jbl towers or yamaha towers unless anyone else has any info about which speakers go well with the yamaha units
cheers

GabeR

Agent
I still like onkyo too, even though the salesman said they are not good anymore...they used to be many years ago

Cyrus_I

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Gabe no speaker recommendations, but I was just wondering what made you choose the Yamaha. Did you demo any other recievers like denon, onkyo and marantz?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks