Advice on a used tuner purchase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_C, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I have this old NAD 3130 integrated amp that I recently pulled out of the closet to see if it still works. I'm happy to say that it does.

I had forgotten how good it sounds with my Klipsch. I've decided to add it to my second system but I want a tuner. I'd prefer an NAD but I'd be happy to get any decent one. I want to be around $100-150 used for this if at all possible. As I said, this isn't the main system. It doesn't get a lot of use so I don't want to break the bank.

Any recommendations for NAD, Rotel, or another brand?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    There’s no shortage of tuners on e-bay, Jim. Enter “Rotel tuner” or whatever brand you’re interested in on the home page and see what comes up!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

sansui made some nice tuners

taking a quick look at Ebay i see a few tu-717 tuners which are very nice. they are a very good deal under $100.

there's also a tu-x1 on ebay at the moment. sansui's flagship, often considered one of the best tuners you can get.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I saw the current Rotel $350 tuner sold for $165 on Audiogon a week or so ago. I look at them now and then. I am staying away for now as someone has a Phase Linear 5000 Series 2 which would be very interesting. It is an analog tuner with Carver's auto-correlator circuitry built in which has dynamic range expansion and noise reduction. I had the outboard auto-correlator many years ago which was the model 1000 Series two along with the 5100 tuner which was digital and the model subsequent to the 5000. With the auto-correlator, except for the real expensive tuners (e.g. Sequerra), I have never heard FM like that. Luckily for me my receiver in the bedroom feeds several other places includes a second zone to my main system so I have FM there. I do like NAD's stuff as well. I still use one their amps for a remote zone and had the model 1600 tuner/preamp and the outboard tuner of the same series was very reasonable as is the current NAD line.

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Thanks for the responses.
    I think that I'm going to try for an NAD tuner with Rotel or Yamaha being the back-up. There are a couple of decent looking ones on Ebay and a local shop has 2 NAD's at a decent price. Yeah, it's more than my stated range but I'm used to spending more than I was planning to when it comes to HT. [​IMG]
    I found this link during a search:
    http://geocities.com/tunerinfo/#reviews
    A lot of good info here. I had no idea that Sansui and Kenwood are so well thought of in the world of tuners. Of course, I don't know squat about the world of tuners so that shouldn't be surprising.
    EDIT: Well, I just Ebay'd myself an NAD 4130 tuner. I was able to get a little info on it through google. The comments were all positive. We'll see.
    Thanks again for the responses.