What's new

Advice on a system for my Aunt and Uncle (1 Viewer)

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
For the winter holidays I've organized my family to get an HT system for my aunt and uncle. We gave it to them on Channukah as a complete surprise. Paradigm Atoms all around w/the CC-170 and PBR-8. The system sounds amazing in my opinion. The only issue is that my aunt doesn't like the size of the atoms and wants something smaller. I'm going to bring her to my dealer and try a blind test w/the atoms, some smaller stuff and some larger stuff too just to see if she can even tell the difference.

Any advice on what to look at for speakers? Would the cinema series be a good fit here? I think i left the gain on the sub a little too high, as they don't like the rumble in the room on bass-heavy scenes. I'm in a bind here and could really use some assistance.

Room dimensions:
approx 12' x 25' vaulted ceilings topping out around 12'

budget:
don't think there really is one... size probably will matter though.

WAF:
huge... they gotta be small. Paradigm, Infinity, B&W are the only brands my dealer carries, and I'd prefer to not have to deal with a flat out return... exchanges are much easier to work with.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Make 'em happy. I just checked out the new cinema series on the paradigm web site those look pretty small. Why not bring your aunt to the dealer and let her tell you if they look good enough. She's not going to care if they sound worse (which they will). Its going to be a tough sell to get her to pick sound over appearance, good luck!

Pick up a calibration disk and an SPL meter in the future and tweak your aunt and uncle's system. That should help balance everything out including the sub.

Hope this helps!

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I have an SPL meter already, so i'll head over and level out the system. It wasn't done on the initial install because I had to catch a bus and couldn't stay any later. This should get done for christmas (Like i said, this is for the winter holidays)

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
has anyone heard them in person yet? How similar are they to the energy Take 5 system?

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
IMO I think the Energy Take 5.2 is one of the best small speakers around. Of course I havent heard the Paradigm Cinema series but I also think the Energy speakers look better as well.

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice everyone... I'm going to try and sell my aunt on the current system as being superior... however she's of the "bose" persuasion regarding the size of the speakers she wants. I'd rather not go down that road if it can be avoided at all, hence the compromise from the Atoms to the cinema.

I have to agree on the take 5's being the absolute best around at their price/size point. My old roomate in college picked them up when I was moving out of the house upon graduation. They are quite an impressive combination. However, as i said before, my dealer stocks only paradigm, infinity and B&W, so alternatives have to be found if the exchange is going to happen.

On a side note... anyone else here deal with massive WAF issues that could provide advice on how to overcome this? I really like the Atom system that was assembled, and highly doubt that the cinema series will be able to produce anywhere near the same audio quality.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
You really need a seperate room that you can use for HT. A room that is your territory. In my case I have set up my HT in the basement family room while our living room upstairs has no audio gear in it, only nice decorating. Guess where we spend most of our time at home:).

I don't ask for much, just one room in the entire house that I can do what I want with! Even that is a stretch for a lot of poor HT lovers. The WAF factor is a powerful force of evil!

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
You can find the Take 5.2 system online if you search. Look for a place than has a return policy so if your Aunt doesnt like them you can return the speakers.

My first system consisted of the Take 5.2 and even though I have had many speaker combinations since its still one of my favorties.

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the issue has been resolved. My aunt and uncle went to my dealer yesterday without me being present and realized that the Atoms are in fact small speakers, and decided to keep them after all. Thank you to everyone who provided input on this matter, and hopefully this encounter can help out others down the road with resolving WAF issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks