Advice on a Region Free DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Jun 28, 2002.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I am looking to buy a REgion Free DVD Player, that is NTSC and PAL compatible - plays NTSC discs on a PAL TV & plays PAL discs on a NTSC TV. I currently have an Aiwa XD-DV380 player, (which came with a HomeTheater PAckage, i.e. REceiver, speakers, subwoofer, etc). I want to be able to watch Region 1 as well as Region 2-6 DVDS on a standard NTSC TV without problems. I have been looking around at several players, many with similar features, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on a player that is not only reliable, but will deliver very good quality audio and video, that I can hook up to a TV with S-Video and a Receiver and will deliver the same great audio and video quality that comes with manny regular dvd players. I am just unsure how the quality will be if I buy a Region Free Player, so I am wondering if there is any opinion on a good recommended player, as well as the specs on it.

2. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I've been looking to buy a Region Free DVD Player with built in PAL/NTSC converter. And of the many auctions and other sites I have looked at, the most common player available and sought after seems to be the Daewoo DVD-5800. I lloked at the features and for the price ot looks like a great buy. I am wondering if anyone has any advice or opinions on this player, or on Region Free DVD players in general. Let me know.

3. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

I got it from Sam's Club for $89. Its excellent for the price. And you can beat the mp3 playback. Can't comment on the region 2-9 playback since I don't have any. And the PAL/NTSC seems to have problems if you don't have a 16x9 tv. And good luck on finding a working code for universal remote.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Last year's Malata N996 or this year's Malata 520.

5. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    What kind of problems does the PAL/NTSC have? Are there any other problems with it, sound and picture wise for DVDs, or with the remote?

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've merged the 2 Region Free DVD player threads started by Josh. There's no need to start a thread for each region free DVD player model.