What's new

Advice on a recommended Collection Agency or Collection Attorney? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Hi all. I need some help. I'm an Independent Contractor and I have a client who has not paid a large sum of money to me. (This was spread out over multiple projects, and the grand total is over $10k!). Anyway, this has been dragging on for nearly 1 year, and I'm at the point where I need to either sue this client, or send the entire matter over to a collection agency.

I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations on a Collection Agency, or an attorney specializing in debt-collection.

I have signed agreements from this client acknowledging that they owe me this money, and that they'd pay minimum amounts, etc. and although they have made a few payments in the past, they have not paid anything in months. It appears that now I have to take some action.

The sum is too great for small claims court, and there are numerous agencies out there that handle this type of thing, but I want one that is reputable and will cost me the least amount of $$$ in the long run.

Any advice would be welcomed, thanks!

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Mike, for what it's worth, my experience with using collection agencies over the years has left me believing they aren't very effective.

You have enough money at stake here that it seems worth consulting with an attorney for an evaluation of your prospects and what the cost would be. Most attorneys don't charge for the initial consultation and you'd have a much better feel for where you stand.

Deane

MikeM

Screenwriter
Deane, thanks for your assistance. I think you're right. Since I have a pretty solid case against this client (signed agreements that they broke), I'm hoping any legal case would be a "slam dunk". We'll see.

I just hope that it's possible to have this client also pay for any and all necessary legal fees associated with getting this debt cleared.

Thanks again for your input.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Don't forget that even if you get a judgment against this person, you are still going to have to collect. It's not like the judge signs the order, then holds a gun to the guy's head until he pays. You'll end up with a lien against him, but you're worries are not over at that point.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Yea, the problem with the lawsuit part is that in the end you are basically going to end up in the same situation as you are in now, these people owe you money. The only difference is that the court agree's with you.

You will still have to collect the money, but now you have to pay lawyer fees as well (I don't think a lawyer will go on contingency for a total $10k payout, $4-6k just doesn't go far with lawyers). The company was probably formed to protect the individual officers, so I doubt there is anything to put a lien on, etc.

Kind of a tricky place to be in.

Andrew

MikeM

Screenwriter
Thanks for your info. You're right, this is a pretty tricky place to be in. It's sad that you can have a company simply not pay on a service which was provided in good faith, and there is essentially little anyone can do about it. It's really depressing...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
With all my debt, I have had my share of dealing with collection agencies (sounds like a four letter word). You certainly ain't getting any help from me :D
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks