What's new

Advice on a new truck/car (1 Viewer)

Curt_Dennis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going tonight to turn in my leased vehicle and buy a new truck. I've done my research online, but how do you know you are getting the best deal? I was once told that if you pay more than $500 over invoice, you've paid too much. Can you ask to see their invoice? Is there a general rule of thumb that you can usually go so much below what they offer initially? I'm looking at the Ford Rangers and F150s in case that matters.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Most dealers will probably refuse to show you, or even discuss, their invoice price. Your best bet is through third-party such as Consumer Reports, Edmunds, NADA, or other organization that provides such information.

Many bank and credit union websites have links to some of these organizations.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wise man say:

Car buyer with cash in hand (or credit approval from lending institution besides the dealer) has been known to buy car for one dollar over dealer invoice, but only at the end of the month.

Furniture buyer can buy furniture for 1/2 showroom price with cash in hand.

Curt_Dennis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! Bought an Escape last night...according to all the sources I looked at, I got a great deal. I even got a good salesman (that part truly amazed me) that didn't even really try to sell the vehicles...just showed me the 2003 and 2004 models and let me look at them without chimming in every 2 seconds. If I asked a question, he answered it and then backed off. First time that ever happened when buying a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks