What's new

Advice on a new setup - Reciever (1 Viewer)

Since these forums are for receivers, I'll just post about this here. I'm looking to put together a nice surround sound system from some money I have saved up. I have about 3k I can spend, and I was hoping to allot around 1k max of that towards a new receiver. Preferably less, but that's the max. I'm looking for a 7.1 system that can handle HDMI. It doesn't need to upconvert or anything. I have a PS3 I use as my DVD and Blu-Ray Player, and a couple other game systems that use Component cables, since they don't support HDMI.

I'm not altogether sure what to look for in receivers; my current one is this, and it's rigged up with the subwoofer and speakers I had left over from when my crappy all-in-one package died. Clearly, it's not the best setup, but it's better than nothing.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Joshua,

How big is your room (cubic feet or meters)? Will this be used primarily for movies?

You should spend most of your budget on speakers, with a large part of that going for the sub. The size of your room will determine the sub you need and then we can go from there....

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can get quite a good receiver for $1000. On the high end I'd look for a Marantz 7002, Denon 3808, Onkyo 876, Harman Kardon 745, Yamaha 3900 and the Pioneer Elite SC-07/05. Some might be a touch over budget with shipping/tax. Always buy from an authorised dealer to ensure the factory warranty will be honored.

In the $500-$750 area the Marantz 5003, Denon 790/1910, Onkyo 706, Harman Kardon 3550HD, Yamaha 1900 and Pioneer Elite 21/23.

Virtually all receivers in that price range will up-convert. It's pretty much a standard feature now days. So is HDMI 1.3a which you should have even if the PS3 decodes the new audio formats. You never what's coming along later and it's nice to have a receiver that's ready for it.

The other main feature to look for is some kind of automatic setup/room EQ correction function. They all have it but some are more popular than others. Right now, Audyssey-with it's DynamicEQ and Dynamic Volume-is at the top of the list. Most Denon's and Onkyo's have it. Marantz has Audyssey but Dynamic EQ and Volume are not included. H/K has it's EZSetEQ, Pioneer has MCACC and Yamaha has YAPO.

But speakers and the sub are much more important. Spend your money there first.

This will be used primarily for Movies, Games, TV, and it's my living room, so it's nice and large. It's not HUGE, but it's your average size living room. I don't have exact measurements though...

But yeah if you guys have recommendations for speakers too, that'd be great, because I intended to buy those first.

Marantz 7002, Denon 3808, Onkyo 876, Harman Kardon 745, Yamaha 3900 and the Pioneer Elite SC-07/05
Are there any notable differences in these in regards to sound? Or is it just features?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most people feel there isn't that much difference in sound between comparable receivers, or if there is it isn't very significant. I feel there is a bit of a difference but it's mostly noticable (even if ever so slightly) with music but not so much with movies and games. I don't think you would be disappointed in the sound performance of any receiver I mentioned, or anything anyone else mentions. Setup and calibration are far more important.

As for speakers, it's really hard to recommend specific brands because what sounds good to me might not sound so good to you. All I do is try to give a few different brands in a particular price range for consideration. Internet brands like Swan, Axiom, AV123, Aperion, Ascend Acoustic, SVS, etc. usually offer a better value than mass market brands, even those sold at big box stores. They all offer 30 day in-home trials and some offer to pay for return shipping. Sometimes you can get great deals at stores like Fry's but the selection can be limited.

Since you mentioned movies and games as your main priorities I'd look for a real good subwoofer like SVS, HSU and ElementalDesignes and a real good center channel. You can then choose the rest of the speakers from the same series as the center. If music were the main priorety then the fronts would be more important to me. In your price range there are just too many good ones to be more specific.

Also, I like to use internet shopping sites like PriceGrabber.com and Yahoo!Shopping, even eBay, to see what's available in different price ranges.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For you budget I'd spend at least $800-1000 on the sub, $500-700 on the receiver, and $1300-1700 on the speakers. Don't forget about speaker wire and interconnects (check out blue jean cable or monoprice.com for quality cables and decent prices).'

Start with the sub from a reputable internet direct company (my favorite is SVS). Then you start the dance - find the speakers you like best and try to work your budget to get them and the receiver you like best. I suggest the Onkyo 706 as a starting point for the receiver. The speakers are up to you. Have fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks