Advice on a measurement microphone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Milne, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I'm having trouble getting the bass "right" in my new theater --thin at some frequencies and boomy at others. I suspect that my DIY speakers have some response "funnies" I just haven't noticed before. I have access to a Schlumberger response analyzer. It will analyze and plot out the gain and phase transfer characteristics of anything between its output and input. All I need is a good flat microphone to use it for room measurements (and maybe a mic preamp; the Schlumberger accomodates a wide range of input voltages, but microvolt-level inputs may cause noise problems).

Josephson has some mics that are advertised to +/-1.0 dB, but they're $500 (ouch). I also have a Rat Shack SPL meter with mic-out jack but it's old (20+ years) and I don't trust it. Are the new ones really flat? Any other ideas?

2. JohnRG

JohnRG Auditioning

Panasonic Mic Capsules from Digikey are relatively flat. Most people find they are within about 2dB. This should allow you to find nasties. A single op amp is sufficient to amplify your signal, and the circuit for that is on the net in many locations
    http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/preamp/preamp.html
    is one source