What's new

Advice on a MD/CD car stereo. Do they exist? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Will someone recommend a good but inexpensive MD/CD car stereo. Do any exist because I've never heard of one but i will be getting a new car stereo soon and I love my cds and mds.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I have never seen a head unit that plays CDs and MDs akin to a CD/cassette head unit. Sony does make an MD head unit that has controls for a Sony CD changer (six- or ten-disc model). Alternatively, you can buy a Sony CD head unit and link it to a Sony six-MD changer, though I feel the former option is more practical. I too love MD and thought about getting an MD head unit and ten-CD changer for my new car. However, the MD head unit is a bit pricey given that I am not a car audio fanatic, and I thought I would miss the CD player in the dash. So, I went with a Sony single-disc CD head unit and a ten-disc CD changer in the trunk. In any event, see www.crutchfield.com for a good selection of Sony MD and CD head units and changers.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I am skeptical about how many of the MD head units on that minidisc.org link are available in the US. For one thing, that looks like a lot of options given that MD is not that popular in the US. I don't think Crutchfield sells nearly that many MD head units. In addition, many of the manufacturer links provided there are to overseas web sites. My feeling is that Crutchfield has a pretty comprehensive list of MD head units available in the US. Here is the link to Crutchfield's selection of MD head units (six models):
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...?c=3&g=950&s=0
Actually, that's a better selection than I expected to see. I believe Sony makes the only MD changer available in the US.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the Sony changer and the JVC headunit --- I seem to recall a couple others but they were MD only

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Its been years since I've checked on these things but back in '97 when I was working for Circuit City they carried in dash MD players. I dont remember if they had combos but most if not all of them could control an outboard CD changer and one of them even had a record feature.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I am NOT into cars or car audio, but I am interested in using my MiniDiscs in my car. Is there any MD player I could get for my car for under a hundred bucks or so. It doesn't have to do anything fancy. All it has to do is play MiniDiscs, nothing else. And I'm willing to buy a used one. Is it possible?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Carl, I have never seen an in-dash MD head unit sell for as little as $100. The cheapest one that Crutchfield sells, as I recall, is a Sony unit for $240. It is on close-out. You might be able to find a used unit on eBay for less. An altenative is to use an inexpensive portable MD player if your current head unit has an auxiliary jack. I tried that once, but using a portable player is a pain.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Michael, I am skeptical about how many of the MD head units on that minidisc.org link are available in the US.
Keith, I didn't mean to sound that those were easily available at retail. Some may even be out of production. I just listed it as a point of reference. Minidisc.org generally lists all models, not just those available in the U.S. Because of the woeful lack of selection of MD players/recorders in the U.S., I know several retailers that import the Japanese units. I guess there is a market for them despite the drawbacks (language, voltage, warranty, etc.)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
there is one jvc player that's a single din. it's a jvc kd-mx3000. i have one and it's a solid unit. of course it's pretty old now and starting to act up. i don't really feel like paying to get it fixed so i'll prolly end up ebaying it one day and getting a md only player. if i recall, pioneer makes a single din cd/md unit but i don't think it's been released in the us yet (and i doubt it will, md doesn't sell very well here).

kevin t

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Is there any MD player I could get for my car for under a hundred bucks or so. It doesn't have to do anything fancy. All it has to do is play MiniDiscs, nothing else. And I'm willing to buy a used one. Is it possible?
Of course, if you have a portable MD player and a car cassette player, you could get one of those cassette adapters. It's less convenient than an in-dash player but less expensive too (assuming you already have a portable player).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I think an in-dash MD unit would be great, but I wish they were cheaper. My Sony X-plod CD head unit was only $170 or so.
Philip,
That JVC mini system is a great deal. However, I own something better. :D Since you are intrigued by a MD changer for your car, did you ever see the Sony DHC-MD555 mini system that has both a five-CD changer and a five-MD changer? I bought one from Crutchfield about a year-and-a-half ago and it is great. Truthfully, and not surprisingly, the sound quality isn't that great once you have gotten used to the sound of a good component system, but it is good for the $400 I paid. I love the MD changer. Unfortunately, the 'MD555 was discontinued awhile back, but maybe some dealers still have it. I wish Sony would release a stand-alone MD changer. Then again, with the problems Sony seems to be having with single-MD units, let's not complicate the issue with a changer. ;)
All,
Here is a bit of a dilemma I am facing. It's a "what would you do" question. Back in July, I bought a new car. In the old car, I had an Aiwa CD head unit that played CD-RWs. I loved the ability to play CD-RWs because I could dub a CD to a CD-RW for my morning commute or whatever and then when I grew tired of the album, I could copy over it with another "album of the day". When I got the new car, I decided to forego the Aiwa head unit and get a Sony CD head unit and Sony ten-disc CD changer for the trunk. Unfortunately, the Sony gear does not play CD-RWs. I got a great deal on the Sony package and decided at the time that I could live without CD-RW playback. Now, I am wishing that I could play those "album-of-the-day" CD-RWs in the head unit. Sony now makes CD head units that play CD-RWs, and I could replace my X-plod head unit with a new X-plod model that sells for under $200. Alternatively, I could go with the $250 Sony MD unit from Crutchfield. What would you do?
I am inclined to go with a new CD head unit if I do anything because I would have the flexibility of playing a CDs that I just bought as I drive away from the store. I don't always like to wait until I am home to listen to a new CD. Also, the CD changer in the trunk is always filled with CD-R mixes, so I like the convenience of having the CD head unit for new CDs. Yes, I am a creature of comfort. :) So, from the standpoint of convenience, a new CD head unit makes sense.
I have a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray CD burner that allows me to copy CDs to CD-RWs at 4x and a Sony MXD-D3 CD/MD deck that allows me to copy CDs to MDs at 4x, so there is no advantage to dubbing to one format over another. I will probably go with the CD-RW-compatible head unit, but is there any real reason I should go with the MD head unit? Thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks