Advice on a MD/CD car stereo. Do they exist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Will someone recommend a good but inexpensive MD/CD car stereo. Do any exist because I've never heard of one but i will be getting a new car stereo soon and I love my cds and mds.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I have never seen a head unit that plays CDs and MDs akin to a CD/cassette head unit. Sony does make an MD head unit that has controls for a Sony CD changer (six- or ten-disc model). Alternatively, you can buy a Sony CD head unit and link it to a Sony six-MD changer, though I feel the former option is more practical. I too love MD and thought about getting an MD head unit and ten-CD changer for my new car. However, the MD head unit is a bit pricey given that I am not a car audio fanatic, and I thought I would miss the CD player in the dash. So, I went with a Sony single-disc CD head unit and a ten-disc CD changer in the trunk. In any event, see www.crutchfield.com for a good selection of Sony MD and CD head units and changers.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

To get a look at what's out there, take a look here.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I am skeptical about how many of the MD head units on that minidisc.org link are available in the US. For one thing, that looks like a lot of options given that MD is not that popular in the US. I don't think Crutchfield sells nearly that many MD head units. In addition, many of the manufacturer links provided there are to overseas web sites. My feeling is that Crutchfield has a pretty comprehensive list of MD head units available in the US. Here is the link to Crutchfield's selection of MD head units (six models):
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...?c=3&g=950&s=0
    Actually, that's a better selection than I expected to see. I believe Sony makes the only MD changer available in the US.

5. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

I've seen the Sony changer and the JVC headunit --- I seem to recall a couple others but they were MD only

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Its been years since I've checked on these things but back in '97 when I was working for Circuit City they carried in dash MD players. I dont remember if they had combos but most if not all of them could control an outboard CD changer and one of them even had a record feature.

7. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I am NOT into cars or car audio, but I am interested in using my MiniDiscs in my car. Is there any MD player I could get for my car for under a hundred bucks or so. It doesn't have to do anything fancy. All it has to do is play MiniDiscs, nothing else. And I'm willing to buy a used one. Is it possible?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Carl, I have never seen an in-dash MD head unit sell for as little as $100. The cheapest one that Crutchfield sells, as I recall, is a Sony unit for $240. It is on close-out. You might be able to find a used unit on eBay for less. An altenative is to use an inexpensive portable MD player if your current head unit has an auxiliary jack. I tried that once, but using a portable player is a pain.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Carl,
    Sorry, but I think the closeout Sony for $250 is about the best you'll do. It's cool though [​IMG].
    I'd love to get my hands on a Japan home market Panasonic MD changer - it would plug right into my Audi. Damn expensive however.
    MD fans check out the unbelievable deal from Electronics Emall!!!

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

11. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

there is one jvc player that's a single din. it's a jvc kd-mx3000. i have one and it's a solid unit. of course it's pretty old now and starting to act up. i don't really feel like paying to get it fixed so i'll prolly end up ebaying it one day and getting a md only player. if i recall, pioneer makes a single din cd/md unit but i don't think it's been released in the us yet (and i doubt it will, md doesn't sell very well here).

kevin t

12. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I think an in-dash MD unit would be great, but I wish they were cheaper. My Sony X-plod CD head unit was only $170 or so.
    Philip,
    That JVC mini system is a great deal. However, I own something better. [​IMG] Since you are intrigued by a MD changer for your car, did you ever see the Sony DHC-MD555 mini system that has both a five-CD changer and a five-MD changer? I bought one from Crutchfield about a year-and-a-half ago and it is great. Truthfully, and not surprisingly, the sound quality isn't that great once you have gotten used to the sound of a good component system, but it is good for the $400 I paid. I love the MD changer. Unfortunately, the 'MD555 was discontinued awhile back, but maybe some dealers still have it. I wish Sony would release a stand-alone MD changer. Then again, with the problems Sony seems to be having with single-MD units, let's not complicate the issue with a changer. [​IMG]
    All,
    Here is a bit of a dilemma I am facing. It's a "what would you do" question. Back in July, I bought a new car. In the old car, I had an Aiwa CD head unit that played CD-RWs. I loved the ability to play CD-RWs because I could dub a CD to a CD-RW for my morning commute or whatever and then when I grew tired of the album, I could copy over it with another "album of the day". When I got the new car, I decided to forego the Aiwa head unit and get a Sony CD head unit and Sony ten-disc CD changer for the trunk. Unfortunately, the Sony gear does not play CD-RWs. I got a great deal on the Sony package and decided at the time that I could live without CD-RW playback. Now, I am wishing that I could play those "album-of-the-day" CD-RWs in the head unit. Sony now makes CD head units that play CD-RWs, and I could replace my X-plod head unit with a new X-plod model that sells for under $200. Alternatively, I could go with the $250 Sony MD unit from Crutchfield. What would you do?
    I am inclined to go with a new CD head unit if I do anything because I would have the flexibility of playing a CDs that I just bought as I drive away from the store. I don't always like to wait until I am home to listen to a new CD. Also, the CD changer in the trunk is always filled with CD-R mixes, so I like the convenience of having the CD head unit for new CDs. Yes, I am a creature of comfort. [​IMG] So, from the standpoint of convenience, a new CD head unit makes sense.
    I have a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray CD burner that allows me to copy CDs to CD-RWs at 4x and a Sony MXD-D3 CD/MD deck that allows me to copy CDs to MDs at 4x, so there is no advantage to dubbing to one format over another. I will probably go with the CD-RW-compatible head unit, but is there any real reason I should go with the MD head unit? Thanks for reading.