Advice on 4 speakers vs 5 speakers for Dolby Digital DVD movies?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Lee-c, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

I have a question about playing Dolby Digital DVD movie soundtracks using 4 speakers (main and surround),
    instead of 5.

Here's the situation. We currently only have two monitor speakers for the front right and left.
    We plan on upgrading the mains soon, this will leave the monitors available for rear surrounds.
    This will still leave us without a center channel, for at least awhile. Will probably add sub later.
    One thing at a time. [​IMG] For now it would be 4 speakers total.

We have a HK DD/DTS receiver to handle processing. My question is this. If we want to watch
    a DVD movie in DD or DTS surround mode, will the receiver be able to detect that there is no center
    channel speaker hooked up to the receiver and thus dynamically place all sounds that are
    intended for the center channel on the DD/DTS track into the front mains instead? Or would all
    the center channel sounds just not play, since there is no center channel speaker?

Any help with info. on this is much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

i imagine that you would set the recievers center channel to "None" and then it would reassign all center channel tracks balanced to the L and R channels.

thats how i run my system

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

As James said, this will work if you set up the receiver. In theory, center channel information is sent as an identical copy to the R/L mains in perfect phase which may project a sharp image of center channel sound to a point exactly between the mains- ideally positioned such that this is the center of your screen. Some excellent HT's are set up this way intentionally.

4. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Thanks for the info.

I checked the receiver and you can set the center speaker to "none". So I guess that solves the problem. [​IMG]