Advice needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Copeland, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I'm wanting to buy a new receiver and I thought I would just ask here since it will get most of it's use for gaming. Nothing too extravagant. I'm looking to spend maybe 1 - 1.5K. Any suggestions? Thanks!

aaron

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

3. Aaron Copeland

Aaron
    Ok guys...seriously...anyone have any suggestions? I tried posting in the receivers/separates forum and, just like here, got a total of one response...and neither response offered any suggestions [​IMG]
    Granted, I was unable to respond to the questions asked by the single poster in the other forum since I was out of town on business until last night...but one response? [​IMG] I posted here because I thought you guys would be more likely to respond since I do at least post in these forums on a more regular basis than anywhere else. Plus you share my love of games for which this piece of hardware would be getting most of it's use.

4. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

It's a pretty broad question bro. With the only criteria listed that it be 1.5k or less, pretty much any reciever out there will match. More specifics might be helpful, as well as a bit of legwork on your end to narrow the possibilities.

Questions to answer could include- What features are/aren't important? What kind of speakers will you be hooking up to it? What other gear will you be hooking up? Etc.

I'd recommend checking reviews and such within your price range to see what features are available, and which models interest you the most, then post asking for impressions/experiences with the units you've narrowed down to.

The question above is simply too broad. If you can post "what is your experience with brand X model Y, and how does it compare to brand A model B?" you'll get much more attention.

T

5. Aaron Copeland

Aaron
    I was looking for some basic recommendations from a quality standpoint and personal experience. I don't profess to have golden ears, so I don't really care much if one receiver sounds slightly brighter with a certain brand of speakers compared to another. Just what sounds good (in general) and what is reliable..that sort of thing.

But if it helps...It will be connected to some Polk Audio speakers for now. But they are next on the list for an upgrade after the receiver, so it's really a wash at this point...which is one reason why I didn't bother mentioning it. It will be used mostly for games (probably 85% or so), but movies are important as well. I generally watch about 1 movies per week, sometimes more depending on what gets released. But I play games at least for a few minutes 4-5 days per week. It will get almost no use for music. I generally only listen to music in the car or while at my PC (from songs on the HDD).

Features...just what is good for games and movies. DPLII, DTS-ES, etc... Pretty much in everything in this price range will have these, so it too is a wash. I don't care about multi-room output or anything similar.

You get the idea. I'm not overly picky, but just want something that is of good quality. So I was just looking for some recommended brands or lines from certain manufacturers.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I have a Pioneer 811, which has a retail value of $400, but I got it much less. It has DDEX, DTSES, Prologic II, Component switching, and preamp outs. For a budget receiver it is pretty loaded.
    For the price range you are looking at maybe the Denon 3802 or so. Great perfeormance and features.

7. Aaron Copeland

Aaron
    I guess the only requirement would be a decent power supply. Since I plan to upgrade the speakers sometime soon (not to sure yet what I will be getting), I would like a receiver with enough overhead in the power supply that most speakers would work (i.e. so I don't limit myself too much or have to turn around and get another receiver after picking out some new speakers).

8. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I have the Onkyo 575X and I've really enjoyed the receiver. So, I feel very comfortable recommending Onkyo's product line. There were a few others that I was considering in the next year, so here is some info.
    If you're seriously looking to put some money into a receiver you could look at either the Onkyo TX-SR800,the Harman/Kardon AVR 525 or the Denon AVR-3803.
    All run for about $999 retail cost. They have quite a bit of power and DPLII and quite a few other features. I'd recommend finding a local store that actually focuses on Audio, rather than a retailer like Best Buy if you're looking for a more high end receiver.
    Good luck,
    Glen