What's new

Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

slinkster65

Auditioning
Real Name
Taylor
So, I am looking at getting a new home theater setup. Have a real old DVD/All in One that is probably 5-6 years old and need to replace it.

Have a Blu Ray already, so don't need a system that has one of those.

Any suggestions on brand, etc to look for? I am not an audiophile or anything, but want something that will sound good and be "future proofed" for awhile. I have been looking at a couple of Onkyos and Denons, but don't really know what the "must have" stuff to look for on them. 5.1 vs 7.1; can the audio and video go through the same HDMI cord (I have read that some systems require an extra cable or 2 b/c the HDMI would only let video go through), etc

The room is roughly 12'x13'.

I'd like to stay around $500 or so since I am getting rady to start grad school. But am flexible on price somewhat.

I've looked at:

-ONKYO HT-S3300
-YAMAHA YHT-493BL
-DENON DHT591BA
-ONKYO HT-S5300

I know getting components separately will give the best sound, etc, but on a budget the HTIB is the best way for me to go at this point in time.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Most all recent HTiB systems use/sample the audio over HDMI - without need for additional cabling. Onkyo HTiB systems generally offer more bang per buck and are fairly decent quality. Some model Onkyo HTiBs run pretty damn hot though ... and some of last year's Onkyo models had several HDCP handshake issues with cable boxes and Panasonic BD players. The Yamaha package is decent but you'll want to replace the sub soon... it's the weak link and flaps a bit anywhere over 2/3 volume...

slinkster65

Auditioning
Real Name
Taylor
I have heard that the Onkyos can run pretty hot and that people have had to add fans around the receivers to keep them cool. So that worries me a little bit.

I have also read today, since we are snowed in here in Atlanta, that the Fluance AVHTB+ is a good set of speakers. Would have to buy a sub and receiver separately, but with them being roughly $200 it seems like a good price for the product. Plus, I could always hold off on the sub for a little bit and just use the old one I have for the time being and look at the recievers around that $300 price point.

Also saw the Onkyo STS-HK870 7.1 speaker set for about $300. Though I am not sure I really have the need for a 7.1 set up...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like Fluance for starter systems. I used to have the SXHTB setup. I wouldn't get anything less than the SXHTB+. That will add about $100.

Check the sales area here and look on Craigslist and EBay for receivers. Nothing wrong with getting slightly older models.

slinkster65

Auditioning
Real Name
Taylor
Ok, cool. I had seen that Fluance set too, just wish it came in the black like the other one. The shiping cost is the only thing that kinda makes me want to look at other speakers and not the Fluance.

I will definitely look into some of the older model receivers. Though I assume we are getting to the part of the year where all of last years models may start being discounted to get the new ones in? So might be able to get a good deal there, plus I do have a couple gift cards to Best Buy and Amazon from my birthday and Christmas which will help lowe the cost out of pocket.

Do you have any advice on a receiver to look at specifically? I assume Pioneer/Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon are the better brands in a lower price range?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You got it. Any of those brands are good ones.

I'm partial to Denon and Onkyo since they have Audyssey EQ. I suggest used since your budget is modest. I would rather have a 2 year old receiver with more features than a new 'cheap' one. For example, I just found an Onkyo 705 on EBay for $142 )I paid closer to $800 when I bought mine new a few years ago).

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Right now Amazon is selling the Onkyo S5300 for $400 which is $20 less than the S3300, If you are interested in Onkyo go with the S53300 over the S3300 as it comes with a better receiver, and a powered sub.

Speakers tend to be the weak link in HTib systems and the receiver that comes with the S5300 will allow you to upgrade to better speakers at a later date.

slinkster65

Auditioning
Real Name
Taylor
Thanks a lot. Wish I could find that S5300 in a store for that price sicne I thought Amazon didn't include a warranty with electronics bought from them.

And also if it runs hot, I will most likely need to get a couple of small fans to make sure the temp stays down. So I am still a little worried about that...

I am kinda leaning towards a set of the Fluance and then a receiver or that Onkyo set up based on price/features/etc.

Alos, are these a good, entry level set of speakers: Infinity TSS-500

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have an Integra that is made by Onkyo and it may run a bit hotter that other brands but it is engineered to run that way to get the heat out of the unit. As long as you don't mount it in a tight cabinet without adequate ventilation or stack other equipment on top our restrict the vents on the receiver you won't have any problems. In fact you should follow these guidelines for any receiver on the market.

According to the Onkyo web site Amazon is an authorized dealer so the Onkyo products they sell are covered by the standard Onkyo warranty. However, you may want to check with Amazon as to what their return policy is if you just don't like S5300 once you set it up in your home.

slinkster65

Auditioning
Real Name
Taylor

slinkster65

Auditioning
Real Name
Taylor
So, I had a thread on here about a month ago that gane some real good insight.

I have narrowed down my choices for a receiver to:

-Denon AVR591

-Denon AVR 1611

Of those 2 is one better than the other? OR is there something else in another brand that is comparable with features and close on price?

Originally I was leaning towards getting a 5.1 system to go with it, but have now decided to space out my purchases for speakers. I think now I want to get 2 fronts and then add a sub later, then a center, then surrounds.

For right now with a receiver and 2 speakers I would like to stay around $600-700, but have some wiggle room.

Also not sure if I want to go with bookshelf or floorstanding either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks